Square of a differentiable functional

In summary: If you are trying to prove something you need a formal definition.To Perok's point, here's what I expected to see for proving the square of a differentiable function is differentiable.If f(x) is differentiable, let ##g(x)=x^2##. Then g is differentiable, and by the chain rule g(f(x)) is differentiable.
LCSphysicist
TL;DR Summary
Write a formula for the square functional's variation
1603038459204.png

I will consider first the case of ## \left [ J \right ] = \int f(x,y,y') ##, if it is right believe is easy to generalize...
$$ \Delta J $$
$$\int (f(x,y+h,y'+h'))^2 - (f(x,y,y'))^2 $$
$$\int \sim [f(x,y,y') + f_{y}(x,y,y')h + f_{y'}(x,y,y')h']^2 - [f(x,y,y')]^2$$
to first order: $$\int \sim 2f(x,y,y')[f_{y}h + f_{y'}h']$$

All is ok? Is this right?

Attachments

• 1603034235206.png
    1603034235206.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 1603034244907.png
    1603034244907.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 160
Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of function are you talking about here, and why the integral?

Likes LCSphysicist
PeroK said:
What sort of function are you talking about here, and why the integral?
"What sort of function?" Sorry, i think i don't understand the question. It is a functional, and the integral, yes, there is another types of functional, but as this chapter just treat the integral cases, i follow it and consider this functional form. But if you are talking about f, i am restringing it to continuous function with first derivative functions too.

LCSphysicist said:
"What sort of function?" Sorry, i think i don't understand the question. It is a functional, and the integral, yes, there is another types of functional, but as this chapter just treat the integral cases, i follow it and consider this functional form. But if you are talking about f, i am restringing it to continuous function with first derivative functions too.
You'll need to be careful about how things are defined here. Are you squaring the functional? Or some function, the integral of which is the functional? How is a functional derivative defined?

If you are trying to prove something you need a formal definition.

• Informative
Likes LCSphysicist
To Perok's point, here's what I expected to see for proving the square of a differentiable function is differentiable.

If f(x) is differentiable, let ##g(x)=x^2##. Then g is differentiable, and by the chain rule g(f(x)) is differentiable.
Your proof looks, well, different, which suggests we are missing context. Some people may know what you're talking about, but a little extra guidance as to what the objects are you are dealing with will widen the net of who can help you.

Actually, the question can be divided in two parts, to prove it, and find an expression for the square functional's variation. My post was about the second, as it is in the summary, i believe it was easier to start

1. What is the definition of a square of a differentiable functional?

The square of a differentiable functional is a mathematical operation that takes a differentiable function as its input and outputs a new function that is the square of the original function.

2. How is the square of a differentiable functional calculated?

The square of a differentiable functional is calculated by multiplying the original function by itself.

3. What is the purpose of calculating the square of a differentiable functional?

Calculating the square of a differentiable functional is useful in solving optimization problems and in finding the minimum or maximum value of a function.

4. Can the square of a differentiable functional be applied to non-differentiable functions?

No, the square of a differentiable functional can only be applied to differentiable functions, which are functions that have a well-defined derivative at every point.

5. What are some real-world applications of the square of a differentiable functional?

The square of a differentiable functional has many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve optimization problems, model physical systems, and analyze financial data.