Srednicki QFT draft vs printed versions

In summary: The draft and the book are almost identical (as in you can learn from either one without a big problem). However if you are using the draft for a class, beware if problems are assigned from it (you don't want to turn in the wrong problem).
ergospherical
There is a draft of Srednicki's QFT book available for free online (here: https://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~mark/ms-qft-DRAFT.pdf). I have a book voucher and, since I couldn't find it in the library, was thinking of buying it so long as the content of the book was sufficiently better (i.e. significantly fewer errors / more information / etc.) than the freely available draft. I would like to ask to what extent the printed copy differs from the draft?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it this way: if the publisher has not forbidden the author to delete the free copy of the draft, in order not to lose money from people like you, then the author must have severely revised it to prepare it for publication, such as rewriting sections or adding them altogether. It would be a huge disappointment for someone to pay money to get the book as paper/eBook and discover either the exact content of the draft (let us say error free), or the same typing or judgement/argumentation mistakes. Unless one is filthy rich, and cares not for 100$ spent on a book he already had...

OTOH, I have found book drafts on the internet that never turned to printed books and frustratingly end after 15 sections, while the author has already written the TOC of 20 sections...

Likes vanhees71 and ergospherical
I had a hunch that this might be the case, but it's not particularly cheap so I think it is wise to check. Can anyone attest to the improvement of the printed version over the digital copy - what are the major differences (if any)?

Thanks. If that list is all that is different, then it is certainly not worth buying.

Well, those are the corrections to the various printings. Srednicki mentions some errors were fixed between the draft and the first printing as well.

I just throw books like that on my Amazon wish list and hope someone buys it for me for Christmas.

vela said:
Well, those are the corrections to the various printings. Srednicki mentions some errors were fixed between the draft and the first printing as well.

I just throw books like that on my Amazon wish list and hope someone buys it for me for Christmas.
And they buy?
I cannot attest to the similarities or differences, but I have a hard copy of the book.
There's also a solution manual which you can find on the web.

vela said:

I don't buy from Amazon as I reckon Jeff Bezos is rich enough already. It's cheaper at Blackwell's in any case:

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/p...N3yxmENidhqAhwW5czKGDKVnG-jYElTBoCJCgQAvD_BwE

Likes Astronuc, haushofer, weirdoguy and 1 other person
MathematicalPhysicist said:
And they buy?
Yes. The other stuff on my wish list is often ridiculously expensive—it is a wish list after all. It works out because I'm usually not willing to spend that kind of money on a textbook that I don't really need, but my friends and family are fine with spending that much on a gift.

PeroK said:
I don't buy from Amazon as I reckon Jeff Bezos is rich enough already.
I don't buy much from Amazon these days as well. If I can find it locally, that's my preferred option because I want brick-and-mortar stores to stick around.

Likes PeroK
I have the book. My impression is the draft and the book is almost identical (as in you can learn from either one without a big problem). However if you are using the draft for a class, beware if problems are assigned from it (you don't want to turn in the wrong problem).

• Haha
Likes vanhees71

1. What is the difference between the Srednicki QFT draft and printed versions?

The Srednicki QFT draft is an early version of the textbook "Quantum Field Theory" by Mark Srednicki, which was made available online for free. The printed versions are the published and updated versions of the textbook, which can be purchased in physical or digital form.

2. Are the contents of the draft and printed versions the same?

For the most part, yes. However, the draft may contain some errors or typos that have been corrected in the printed versions. Additionally, the printed versions may have some updated or expanded content.

3. Can the draft be used as a substitute for the printed versions?

It depends on the individual's needs and preferences. The draft may be sufficient for some readers, while others may prefer the more polished and updated content of the printed versions. It is recommended to check with the author or publisher for any significant differences between the two versions.

4. Is the draft still relevant for studying quantum field theory?

Yes, the draft is still a valuable resource for studying quantum field theory. The core concepts and principles remain the same in both the draft and printed versions. However, it is always recommended to refer to the most updated and accurate information, which can be found in the printed versions.

5. Are there any plans to update the draft or release a new edition of the textbook?

At this time, there are no plans to update the draft or release a new edition of the textbook. However, the author may make minor updates or corrections to the draft as needed. It is best to check the author's website or contact them directly for any future updates or releases.