Stability of the derivatives of cyclopropyl methyl carbocation

In summary: What do you mean?The cyclobutyl/cyclopropyl cation, on the other hand, is apparently a big mess.Poked around a little more and found a few references to that molecule specifically:Review article by Olah, et al.Original article cited by aboveIt behaves as expected (enhanced stability, bisected geometry, etc).
Physics lover
Homework Statement
Is cyclopropyl cyclopentane carbocation also exceptionally stable or not?Give reason for you answer.
Relevant Equations
N/A
Here is an image of the structure
1587701886062-1365919611.jpg

I know that cyclopropyl methyl carbocation is exceptionally stable due to an effect so called dancing resonance which takes place because of lot of strain in cyclopropyl ring and vacant p orbital of Carbon attached with the ring.
So I think this is a similar situation as vacant p orbital of carbon which has positive charge attached with cyclopropyl ring has its vacant p orbital perpendicular to bonding orbital.So dancing resonance can take place here.So it should also be exceptionally stable.I don't know the answer.Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics lover said:
Homework Statement:: Is cyclopropyl cyclopentane carbocation also exceptionally stable or not?Give reason for you answer.
Relevant Equations:: N/A

Here is an image of the structure
View attachment 261298

I know that cyclopropyl methyl carbocation is exceptionally stable due to an effect so called dancing resonance which takes place because of lot of strain in cyclopropyl ring and vacant p orbital of Carbon attached with the ring.
So I think this is a similar situation as vacant p orbital of carbon which has positive charge attached with cyclopropyl ring has its vacant p orbital perpendicular to bonding orbital.So dancing resonance can take place here.So it should also be exceptionally stable.I don't know the answer.Am I correct?
Did anyone else tried it?

I think you’re probably right. I haven’t looked at the cyclopropyl cyclopentane cation specifically (i.e., there may be a weird rearrangement that I’m missing), but most substituted methylcyclopropyl cations are anomalously stable because of sigma resonance (cyclopropane C-C bonds donating into the empty p-orbital on the methyl cation). I don’t immediately see why this particular one would be different.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi and Physics lover
Poked around a little more and found a few references to that molecule specifically:
Review article by Olah, et al.
Original article cited by above
It behaves as expected (enhanced stability, bisected geometry, etc).

Edit: the cyclobutyl/cyclopropyl cation, on the other hand, is apparently a big mess.

TeethWhitener said:
Poked around a little more and found a few references to that molecule specifically:
Review article by Olah, et al.
Original article cited by above
It behaves as expected (enhanced stability, bisected geometry, etc).

Edit: the cyclobutyl/cyclopropyl cation, on the other hand, is apparently a big mess.
Thanks for that article.But I didn't understood why cyclobutyl/cyclopropyl cation is a mess.

1. What is a cyclopropyl methyl carbocation?

A cyclopropyl methyl carbocation is a positively charged carbon atom at the center of a three-membered ring, with a methyl group attached to it. It is a highly reactive and unstable intermediate in organic chemistry reactions.

2. How is the stability of cyclopropyl methyl carbocation determined?

The stability of a cyclopropyl methyl carbocation is determined by the number of electron-donating groups attached to the carbon atom. The more electron-donating groups, the more stable the carbocation will be.

3. What are the derivatives of cyclopropyl methyl carbocation?

The derivatives of cyclopropyl methyl carbocation include carbocations with different substituents attached to the carbon atom, such as alkyl or aryl groups. These derivatives can greatly affect the stability of the carbocation.

4. How does the stability of derivatives of cyclopropyl methyl carbocation compare to the parent compound?

The stability of derivatives of cyclopropyl methyl carbocation can vary greatly depending on the nature of the substituents attached to the carbon atom. In general, the more electron-donating groups attached, the more stable the derivative will be compared to the parent compound.

5. What are the practical applications of studying the stability of derivatives of cyclopropyl methyl carbocation?

Understanding the stability of derivatives of cyclopropyl methyl carbocation is important in organic chemistry reactions, as it can help predict the products and reaction pathways. It also has applications in drug design and development, as well as in the synthesis of complex organic molecules.