Standard Temperature Notation for Phase Change

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of a standard shorthand notation for differentiating between the hot or cold side of a phase change when referring to temperature. It is noted that specifying the state of the substance and the pressure is necessary for an unambiguous question. Some shorthand notations used in old books for water and steam engineering are mentioned.
CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
°Thought just occurred to me.. Is there a standard way of referring to temperature either of a phase change?

For example if I write..

"1kg of water is cooled from 20°C to 0°C, how much energy was removed?"

...then potentially two answers might be considered correct depending if you include the latent heat or not. In many cases it's obvious because a problem statement might say.. .

"water at 0C is heated...
or
"Ice at 0C is heated...

and "water" or "ice" implies which side of the phase change you are starting from but is there a standard or shorthand way to write (for example) "0°C" that differentiates between one side of the phase change vs the other?

Science news on Phys.org
I would interpret the statement as if there was no phase change. If there was a phase change I would say "cooled to 0 °C and frozen".

This is an example of a situation in which you just have to specify the situation in more detail than you may think necessary. You would need to include the state of the substance and also, even, the pressure for the experiment - if you wanted it to be an unambiguous question. Orodruin's interpretation was a fair one, in the absence of more information. In the case of water / water vapour there is such a wide possible range of conditions that, unless the ambient pressure is stated, we could be dealing with either or both states, over a huge range of temperatures. Even down to the time needed to boil and egg :smile:.

I guess the answer is no then.

I understand phase diagrams and I'm familiar with short hand such as STP for Standard Temperature and Pressure. Was just curious why there seemed to be no short hand for differentiating between the hot or cold side of a phase change.

Old books on water and steam engineering do sometimes use a convenient shorthand notation :

Like this : 32 deg F liquidus and 32 deg F solidus .

Usually actually written with subscripts liq or sol behind the F .

Other ones for steam in various conditions including ones like 250 F subscript 0.8 ( where 0.8 is the dryness fraction) .

Thanks for that.

What is Standard Temperature Notation for Phase Change?

Standard Temperature Notation for Phase Change is a way of representing the temperature at which a substance changes from one phase (solid, liquid, or gas) to another. It is typically represented as a subscript next to the symbol for the substance, such as H2O for water.

What does the subscript in Standard Temperature Notation represent?

The subscript in Standard Temperature Notation represents the temperature at which the substance changes from one phase to another. For example, H2O0°C represents water at the temperature of 0 degrees Celsius where it changes from a liquid to a solid.

Why is Standard Temperature Notation important in science?

Standard Temperature Notation is important in science because it helps us to easily identify and understand the phase changes of different substances. It also allows for consistency and accuracy in communication and data representation.

How is Standard Temperature Notation determined for a substance?

The Standard Temperature Notation for a substance is determined through experimentation and observation. Scientists study the behavior of the substance at different temperatures and identify the temperature at which a phase change occurs.

Are there different Standard Temperature Notations for different substances?

Yes, there are different Standard Temperature Notations for different substances. Each substance has its own unique temperature at which it undergoes a phase change, so the subscript will vary depending on the substance being studied.