Started stochiometry in school

• Thread starter ruthless
  • Start date
  • Tags
    School
In summary, Ruth mixed copper sulfate pentahydrate with water and added Fe(II) to it. She then slowly heated the mixture. Once the Fe(II) had been added, she decanted the extra water and measured the total mass. The total mass was 2.57g. Ruth was asked to answer questions about the reaction, but she didn't know the balanced equation or percent yiled calculations. Based on her calculations, two sources of error from her experiment were identified: one was due to the presence of water of crystallization and the other was due to the reactants being more reactive than the products.
ruthless
hello guys, this is my first topic here

we jut started stochiometry in school and did a lab

we used 12.5g of copper sulfate pentahydrate and mixed it in water

and then we added fe (ii) and slowly heated it

then i decanted the extra water and measured the total mass

it was 2.57g total

i was asked to answer these ollowing questions
someomeof them i know but i don know the balanced equation or percent yiled calculations

1.what is the type of rxn that tok place? double replacement?

2. write the word equation and the BALANced formmula equation for thisreaction. inculde states of matter
its cuso4 + fe = cu + feso4 + 5h2o right? i do not think its balanced though

3.what is the name and formula of the solid product? i do not get what this question is asking me

lol i don't know neof these

i got this too

4.start by using the mass of iron powder and complete the folowing: i can get these if i get the right balanced equation
a.what is the mole ration for this reaction?
b.calculate the amount of moles of product
c.calc the theoretical yeild in grams of the product

5.what is the actual yield of the product?

6.calc the percent yiled of the product

7.based on your calc percent yiled, describe two source of error from your experiment

any help would be appreciated

thing is due tommorow >.< i cqan answer some of these if i know the anwsers to others

thanks, ruth

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CuSO4*5H2O(aq) + Fe(s) = Cu(s) + FeSO4(aq) + 5 H2O(g)

is that the right eq balanced if fe2+ was used?

/i figured out answers to most with the bequation but can u guys tell me if the eq is right

displacement reaction occurs. (Fe is more reactive than Cu)

you can omit the water of crystallisation. when you dissolve solid CuSO4 solid you get Cu2+ and SO42- ions. the water of crystallisation does not take part in the reaction.

CuSO4 + Fe -----> FeSO4 + Cu

3.what is the name and formula of the solid product? i do not get what this question is asking me

the reactants are copper(11) sulphate and Iron. What are the products?

when u mean displacement...single replacement right?
we didnt learn displacement maybe what ur saying is the smething

Go net ionic. SO4-2 is only a spectator.

Related to Started stochiometry in school

What is stochiometry?

Stochiometry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between the reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

Why is stochiometry important to learn in school?

Stochiometry is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern chemical reactions, allowing us to predict and control the outcomes of these reactions.

What are the key concepts of stochiometry?

The key concepts of stochiometry include mole ratios, limiting reactants, and percent yield. These concepts help us determine the amount of reactants needed, the amount of products produced, and the efficiency of a reaction.

What are some real-life applications of stochiometry?

Stochiometry is used in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, agriculture, and manufacturing, to develop new products and improve existing processes. It is also essential in environmental studies to monitor and control pollution levels.

How can I improve my stochiometry skills?

Practice is key to improving stochiometry skills. Work through various problems and equations, and make sure to understand the underlying concepts. It can also be helpful to use visual aids, such as diagrams and models, to better understand the concepts.

Back