Why Does Static Electricity Behave Unpredictably in Everyday Phenomena?

In summary, the conversation covers various topics related to GCSE content, including electrostatic attraction and lightning. The speakers discuss the movement of charged particles and their effects on different materials, such as a balloon sticking to a wall and the dispersal of charge in earthing. They also touch upon the concept of electric displacement and the role of charge differences in lightning.
StrawberryElf
This is all related to GCSE content, but it doesn't go into enough depth for it to make sense:

When a balloon sticks to a wall after becoming negatively charged, why does the surface of the wall become positively charged? I would assume that the repulsion between negative charges forces the electrons to move, but does this mean that atoms can change their structure? Theoretically, the atom still has the same amount of protons and electrons, so its overall charge is neutral - does this mean that the electrostatic attraction has a very short 'range' and only reaches the surface of an atom? And why is it that the wall that the subatomic particles in the wall move instead of those on the balloon? Is it because charged particles 'stronger' than neutral particles?

Another question I have is regarding lightning. Why do the negatively charged ions sink to the bottom of the cloud - electrons are lighter than protons, so shouldn't it be the other way round? Actually (I just now thought of this)but is it because the ice and water have the same chemical formula and therefore the same amount of electrons and protons, which would mean that the negatively charged ones are heavier because they have the same amount of protons, but more electrons?

Also, with paint sprayers. I understand why you get an even coat, but what confuses me is the fact that the car becomes charged as well. The car was presumably neutral to begin with, so how exactly do the paint sprayers cause the car's particles to become ions?

I am also confused by earthing. I understand that allowing the charge to flow elsewhere will stop it from shocking you, but how does the charge just 'disperse'? My revision guide says that negative ions flow down, and positive ones flow up - if it flows up, wouldn't it just still cause a shock? So if the negative ones flow down, does that mean the Earth is positively charged? I thought it had a neutral charge though, so does it flow down because it has a more positive charge than the ions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the electrons in the wall's atoms are found a bit farther away from the balloon than they were before, and the nuclei are a bit nearer. This means the atoms get a small positive charge on the side near the balloon, and a small negative charge on the other side. This is called electric displacement, from which the atoms get a dipole moment.
The range of the electrostatic force isn't important for this. The particles in the balloon move to, but that doesn't make much difference, the electrons are still there. (This is about movements of the order of less than an atom's size. None of the particles move to the other side of the balloon or the wall.)
Also, there are no neutral particles involved. Both electrons and nuclei are charged.

StrawberryElf said:
I am also confused by earthing. I understand that allowing the charge to flow elsewhere will stop it from shocking you, but how does the charge just 'disperse'? My revision guide says that negative ions flow down, and positive ones flow up - if it flows up, wouldn't it just still cause a shock? So if the negative ones flow down, does that mean the Earth is positively charged? I thought it had a neutral charge though, so does it flow down because it has a more positive charge than the ions?
Do you mean a lightning rod or the earthing of an electric plug? In the latter case, no ions flow, just electrons. The earthing is connected to long wires (which run alongside the power wires), which are in turn connected to the ground, which isn't a bad conductor – there is a lot of moisture and electrolytes like sodium and chloride ions. And the ground is large. So no problem with dispersion.

For a lightning rod, keep in mind that it's all about charge differences, so given that the bottom of a cloud is negatively charged, the Earth is positive relatively to the cloud. You can think of negative charges being repelled by the cloud rather than being attracted by the earth; the effect is the same: they flow down.

Anypodetos said:
Yes, the electrons in the wall's atoms are found a bit farther away from the balloon than they were before, and the nuclei are a bit nearer. This means the atoms get a small positive charge on the side near the balloon, and a small negative charge on the other side. This is called electric displacement, from which the atoms get a dipole moment.
The range of the electrostatic force isn't important for this. The particles in the balloon move to, but that doesn't make much difference, the electrons are still there. (This is about movements of the order of less than an atom's size. None of the particles move to the other side of the balloon or the wall.)
Also, there are no neutral particles involved. Both electrons and nuclei are charged.
Anypodetos said:
Do you mean a lightning rod or the earthing of an electric plug? In the latter case, no ions flow, just electrons. The earthing is connected to long wires (which run alongside the power wires), which are in turn connected to the ground, which isn't a bad conductor – there is a lot of moisture and electrolytes like sodium and chloride ions. And the ground is large. So no problem with dispersion.

For a lightning rod, keep in mind that it's all about charge differences, so given that the bottom of a cloud is negatively charged, the Earth is positive relatively to the cloud. You can think of negative charges being repelled by the cloud rather than being attracted by the earth; the effect is the same: they flow down.

So you are essentially saying that the electrons go to atoms of the elements within the ground? Yes, I accidentally said ions, when I meant electrons - sorry about that. Also, my issue is to do with earthing(of, for example, refuelling pipes) is that if the atom has had electrons scraped off and gained a positive charge, my book says the electrons flow up - but wouldn't this still mean there is a risk of a spark??

Also, thanks for taking the time to reply ☺

Anypodetos said:
This makes sense, but I still have one slight issue, I thought that atoms were fixed in structure in that they had their nucleus(with protons &neutrons) orbited by shells with electrons. So, just to clarify, are you saying that this can change via electric displacement??

Atoms aren't super rigid. You can compress them. You only need to change the shape of many atoms very slightly to have a net effect at macroscopic scales. The charge on the balloon induces a dipole moment on the wall, which attracts the balloon.

For lightning, look here: http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/science/science_electrication.htm

StrawberryElf said:
Also, my issue is to do with earthing(of, for example, refuelling pipes) is that if the atom has had electrons scraped off and gained a positive charge, my book says the electrons flow up - but wouldn't this still mean there is a risk of a spark??
Not when they are going through the earthing, i.e. a good conductor. You get sparks when charges try going through the air, which is a bad conductor. The air gets ionised by the electricity, and ionised air (plasma) is a good conductor, facilitating the spark. But this won't happen if there is earthing, since that's the easier way for the electrons.

Also, thanks for taking the time to reply ☺
My pleasure :smile:

StrawberryElf said:
Also, with paint sprayers. I understand why you get an even coat, but what confuses me is the fact that the car becomes charged as well. The car was presumably neutral to begin with, so how exactly do the paint sprayers cause the car's particles to become ions?
The paint spray carries ions with it, and when it reaches the car, the ions sit there.

1. What is static electricity?

Static electricity is a type of electrical charge that is formed when there is an imbalance of electrons on the surface of an object. This charge remains stationary and can be discharged when it comes into contact with another object.

2. How is static electricity different from current electricity?

Static electricity is different from current electricity because it is a stationary charge that does not flow. Current electricity, on the other hand, is a flow of electrons through a conductive material.

3. What causes static electricity?

Static electricity is caused by the transfer of electrons between two objects. This can happen when two objects rub against each other, causing friction, or when one object loses or gains electrons through contact with another object.

4. Can static electricity be dangerous?

In most cases, static electricity is not dangerous. However, it can cause a small shock or spark when discharged, which can be uncomfortable or startling. In rare cases, static electricity can also cause fires or explosions in certain environments.

5. How can static electricity be controlled?

Static electricity can be controlled by using materials that are good conductors of electricity, such as metals, which can help to dissipate the charge. Humidity can also play a role in controlling static electricity, as dry air allows for the buildup of static charges, while moist air helps to dissipate them.