Static friction being the force that opposes the reaction

In summary, static friction works against the force of an object being pushed, such as a fridge. This friction needs to be equal or greater than the force exerted by the object to prevent slipping. The force of friction between your feet and the floor is what prevents you from flying backwards while pushing the object.
TheWonderer1
Hi there,

I was thinking that static friction works in opposition to a reaction force like the force of a fridge against you as you push it. However, since you are pushing horizontally and friction works against you why is it equal or greater than the reaction force? Will the force get negated by your body? I'm just trying to see the relation.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheWonderer1 said:
I was thinking that static friction works in opposition to a reaction force like the force of a fridge against you as you push it.
Not sure what you mean by "reaction force". You push the fridge and it pushes back with equal and opposite force; those are third law pairs. Friction acts between the fridge and the floor; they exert equal and opposite forces on each other.

TheWonderer1 said:
However, since you are pushing horizontally and friction works against you why is it equal or greater than the reaction force?
As long as the force you exert on fridge is less than or equal to the maximum static friction force that the floor can exert on the fridge, those forces will be equal and opposite. But they are not "action/reaction" pairs.

Blah sorry meant someone explained it to me like the above statement. My question is mainly what is force acting against you that prevents you from flying backwards. I think this is friction because if you wear socks, your feet not get enough traction. It's about making sure you have enough traction which I guess is friction at work?

TheWonderer1 said:
My question is mainly what is force acting against you that prevents you from flying backwards. I think this is friction because if you wear socks, you will move backwards. It's about making sure you have enough traction which I guess is friction at work?
Sure. For you to push the fridge (or anything else) without sliding backwards, there needs to be sufficient friction acting on you to keep you in place.

When you push the fridge, it pushes back. The friction force on you needs to be enough to counter the force from the fridge.

The friction between your socks and the floor prevents you from flying back and should be greater than the friction between the fridge and the floor if otherwise you will be slipping

Related to Static friction being the force that opposes the reaction

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is a type of frictional force that exists between two surfaces that are in contact with each other but are not moving relative to each other.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs between two surfaces that are not moving, while kinetic friction occurs between two surfaces that are in motion relative to each other.

3. How does static friction affect the movement of objects?

Static friction opposes the force that is trying to put an object in motion, making it difficult for the object to start moving.

4. What factors affect the amount of static friction between two surfaces?

The amount of static friction between two surfaces is affected by the types of materials, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force being applied.

5. Can static friction be greater than kinetic friction?

Yes, it is possible for static friction to be greater than kinetic friction. This occurs when the force trying to put an object in motion is not strong enough to overcome the resistance of static friction.