Static magnet attached to a fridge

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of magnetic forces and how they relate to potential and kinetic energy. It is explained that when a magnet is attached to a fridge, there is a magnetic force between the two that keeps the magnet from falling due to friction. It is then questioned where this magnetic force comes from and whether the energy gained by the magnet is still present. It is clarified that the magnet loses potential energy and gains kinetic energy when it is brought closer to the fridge, and that an outside force is needed to take away this energy. The concept of applying a static force is also mentioned, noting that it does not transfer any energy.
GuiltySparks
Hi all,

I had a thought earlier about magnetic forces.

If there's a magnet attached (at rest) to my fridge, then there is a magnetic force on the magnet towards the fridge and vice-versa. This force stops the magnet from falling because of the frictional force between the magnet and the fridge it induces.

Here's where I get confused. If the magnet isn't moving, then there is no energy expenditure while the magnet is at rest. The magnet gained energy from being placed at a point of lower potential. But since it is now at rest, an outside force (my hand, for example) must have taken away whatever energy it gained going from higher to lower potential.

Right? But then, where does the magnetic force come from? Why does a force exist indefinitely between the magnet and the fridge? Is energy trivial in this case? Or is the energy it gained still present and, presumably, causing our force?

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnet still possesses potential energy even when stuck to the fridge.

The magnet lost potential energy and gained kinetic energy when it was brought closer to the fridge. Your hand did work Against the gain in KE of the magnet.

Applying a static force transfers no energy.

1. How does a static magnet stick to a fridge?

A static magnet sticks to a fridge because it is made of a material, such as iron or steel, that is attracted to the magnet. The magnet creates a magnetic field that pulls the fridge and magnet together, creating a bond.

2. Why can't I stick a magnet to a plastic fridge?

Plastic is not a magnetic material, so it does not have the same attraction to a static magnet as metals do. Therefore, a magnet will not stick to a plastic fridge.

3. How strong is the magnetic force between a fridge and a magnet?

The strength of the magnetic force depends on the strength of the magnet and the distance between the fridge and magnet. Generally, the closer the magnet is to the fridge, the stronger the force will be.

4. Can a static magnet attached to a fridge lose its magnetism?

Yes, over time, a static magnet may lose its magnetism due to factors such as exposure to heat or other strong magnetic fields. However, most magnets used for fridges are made of materials that retain their magnetism for a long time.

5. Is it safe to attach a magnet to a fridge with food inside?

Yes, it is safe to attach a magnet to a fridge while there is food inside. The magnetic force is not strong enough to affect the food in any way. It is also safe for the food to come in contact with the magnet, as most fridge magnets are made of non-toxic materials.