Statistics HW Help: How to Calculate T-Distribution for Small Sample Sizes?

• Thread starter lilyungn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the problem involves finding the population mean and standard deviation for a set of measurements associated with 5 units. It also requires listing all possible samples of size 3 from those 5 units and computing the mean, standard deviation, and 95% confidence interval for each sample using t-distribution. The population mean is found to be 78.8 and the standard deviation is 2.58844.
lilyungn

Homework Statement

I need help solving this problem:

Let A, B, C, D, and E are 6 units of a population. The measurements associated with A, B, C. D, E units are 76, 77, 78, 81, and 82, respectively.

-Find the population mean and its standard deviation

-List all possible samples of size 3 from those 5 units

-From each sample, compute the mean, standard deviation, and 95% confidence interval. Use t-distribution to estimate the tα/2 because we have a small size.

-How many intervals contain population mean? Can you verify your result with empirical rule? Do they agree?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the mean is 78.8 and standard deviation is 2.58844

Physics news on Phys.org
I have solved out everything, I just need help to know how I get the t-distribution?

1. What is statistics?

Statistics is a branch of mathematics that deals with collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting data. It involves using numerical methods to make sense of large amounts of information and to make predictions based on that data.

2. Why do we need statistics?

Statistics helps us make sense of the world by providing us with tools to analyze and interpret data. It is used in various fields such as science, business, healthcare, and social sciences to make informed decisions and predictions based on data.

3. How can statistics be applied in real life?

Statistics is used in a wide range of fields and industries, including market research, public policy, sports, medicine, and finance. It can be used to analyze data to make predictions, identify trends, and inform decision-making processes.

4. What are some common statistical methods?

Some common statistical methods include descriptive statistics, which involves summarizing and describing data, and inferential statistics, which involves making predictions and drawing conclusions about a population based on a sample of data. Other methods include regression analysis, hypothesis testing, and correlation analysis.

5. What are some resources for getting help with statistics homework?

There are many resources available for getting help with statistics homework, including online tutorials, textbooks, and study groups. Additionally, many universities offer tutoring services for students struggling with statistics. It can also be helpful to seek assistance from a statistics professor or teaching assistant.