Stats Help Using Standard deviation and a population

In summary: Just remember to round to the nearest whole number, so the final answer would be "In summary, 16 runners are faster than Joan."
Kingyou123

Homework Statement

Joan’s finishing time for the Bolder Boulder 10K race was 1.75 standard deviations faster than the women’s average for her age group. There were 405 women who ran in her age group. Assuming a normal distribution, how many women ran faster than Joan.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know Joan ran in between the 1st and 2nd standard deviation I'm just confused on how to split up the population correctly. Would the first deviation be 68% of the population?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kingyou123 said:

Homework Statement

Joan’s finishing time for the Bolder Boulder 10K race was 1.75 standard deviations faster than the women’s average for her age group. There were 405 women who ran in her age group. Assuming a normal distribution, how many women ran faster than Joan.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know Joan ran in between the 1st and 2nd standard deviation I'm just confused on how to split up the population correctly. Would the first deviation be 68% of the population?
No. About 34% of the population will have scores between z = 0 and z = 1. Between z = -1 and z = 1 (i.e., within 1 st. deviation of the mean), there is about 68% of the population. You need to figure out how many are included between z = 0 and z = 1.75 -- a standard normal distribution table will be helpful. Don't forget to add the half of the race participants whose z scores are less than or equal to 0.

Mark44 said:
No. About 34% of the population will have scores between z = 0 and z = 1. Between z = -1 and z = 1 (i.e., within 1 st. deviation of the mean), there is about 68% of the population. You need to figure out how many are included between z = 0 and z = 1.75 -- a standard normal distribution table will be helpful. Don't forget to add the half of the race participants whose z scores are less than or equal to 0.
So "z" would equal .4599, I'm assuming you would multiply it by 405 to get the number of runners who are faster than her. So the answer would be 186 runners?

Kingyou123 said:
So "z" would equal .4599, I'm assuming you would multiply it by 405 to get the number of runners who are faster than her. So the answer would be 186 runners?
No z = 1.75. I think what you found was P(0 < z < 1.75) = .4599.

Do you understand what z is? If not it's the variable for a standard normal distribution; one with mean 0 and standard deviation 1. The total area under the graph of the distribution is 1. This area (or probabillity) includes ##P(-\infty < z < 0)##, which is .5 and P(0 < z < 1.75). What proportion of the runners are faster than she is? I don't think your answer of 186 is correct.

Mark44 said:
No z = 1.75. I think what you found was P(0 < z < 1.75) = .4599.

Do you understand what z is? If not it's the variable for a standard normal distribution; one with mean 0 and standard deviation 1. The total area under the graph of the distribution is 1. This area (or probabillity) includes ##P(-\infty < z < 0)##, which is .5 and P(0 < z < 1.75). What proportion of the runners are faster than she is? I don't think your answer of 186 is correct.
My professor talked about standard deviation for a short time, maybe 8 minutes. So I understand that P(-infy<z<) and P(0 < z < 1.75) gives me the proportion of runners that are slower than her, however I'm confused on what the next step would be from there. Would it be as simple as multiplying the sum of both proportions by 405 to get a number than subtracting that number from 405 to get the number of runners that are faster than she is?
Edit:
.9599*405=388.75

405-388.75= 16.25 or 16 runners are faster than Joan

Kingyou123 said:
My professor talked about standard deviation for a short time, maybe 8 minutes. So I understand that P(-infy<z<) and P(0 < z < 1.75) gives me the proportion of runners that are slower than her, however I'm confused on what the next step would be from there. Would it be as simple as multiplying the sum of both proportions by 405 to get a number than subtracting that number from 405 to get the number of runners that are faster than she is?
Edit:
.9599*405=388.75

405-388.75= 16.25 or 16 runners are faster than Joan
Looks good

1. What is Standard Deviation?

Standard deviation is a measure of how spread out a set of data points are from the mean or average value. It tells us how much the data values deviate from the overall average.

2. How is Standard Deviation calculated?

The standard deviation of a population can be calculated by taking the square root of the variance. The variance is calculated by finding the average of the squared differences of each data point from the mean.

3. Why is Standard Deviation important in statistics?

Standard deviation is important because it helps us understand the variability or dispersion in a set of data. It also allows us to compare different data sets and make conclusions about the data.

4. What does a high or low Standard Deviation indicate?

A high standard deviation indicates that the data points are more spread out from the mean, while a low standard deviation indicates that the data points are closer to the mean. In other words, a high standard deviation means there is more variability in the data, while a low standard deviation means the data is more consistent.

5. Can Standard Deviation be negative?

No, standard deviation cannot be negative. It is always a positive value or zero. A zero standard deviation indicates that all the data points are the same and there is no variability in the data.