Stealthy Orbital Re-Entry for Combined Arms Warfare

• Thread starter johnandersoni
  • Start date
In summary: Material that is too hot or too heavy will not survive in orbit. So, you have to find a way to cool or weight down the material so that it can withstand the radiation and the extreme temperatures up in orbit. I think using a parachute to slow the descent and warmer air to slow the speed would work. Once the material is on the ground and out of the radiation zone, the heat shield can be deployed. In summary, the protagonist is trying to figure out the best way to insert men and materials from orbit into the area of operations on the ground, and is exploring different options including using a parachute to slow the descent and warmer air to slow the speed, deploying a heat shield once
Some of these ideas are getting a bit untenable for a military attack. A cable takes time to set up, and is vulnerable and doesn't adapt to changing battle plans. Filling the lungs with fluid would take time to recover from, leaving troops temporarily incapacitated. Also bad for changing battle plans.

Physics news on Phys.org
The cable can move together with the spacecraft s.

I'm inclined to think that feint is the way to go. Drop your orbital paratroopers 100 km away on a secondary target, divert attention, sneak in by motorcycle or stealth aircraft.

johnandersoni said:
I'm working of a short story of the sci-fi nature, and I'm indecisive about one of the finer details. The plot of the short revolves around combined arms warfare in the future. The particular operation in the narrative involves an insertion of men and materials from orbit. (Kind of like paratroopers, only from much higher.) Capsules would carry men, equipment, vehicles, UAV/UGV's, etc. from orbit into the area of operations on the ground.

So, the problem I'm running into is heat, heat shields, and stealth. I find it pretty implausible that any kind of heat shield material or shape could be made in such a way that it would be radar absorbent, refractive and stealthy. Also, if the targets on the ground see a batch of bright falling stars, I think they'd surmise what is happening, and begin calculating possible landing zones based on the trajectory of the falling objects. So far, I'm thinking that an insertion from orbit cannot be completely stealthy. So I'm looking for the best insertion path, a wide shallow entry where your fall rate is less than your linear flight rate, or a steep entry where you punch right through the atmosphere until you slow down? Perhaps somewhere in-between? I think the shallow entry would reduce the amount of heat required to be dealt with, but the steep entry would get the window of vulnerability over with much quicker. The answer may be a bit subjective, but the ultimate goal would be to enter dark, atmospheric/slow flight as quickly as possible, so that the radar reflective heat shields could be jettisoned, the re-entry capsules aren't bright flaming orbs in the sky, and the stealth design of the re-entry vehicles can hide the trajectory of the craft from radar.
Extreme high altitude sky dive, we can do it from 128,000 feet now.

136,000 feet (41km). Alan Eustace just didn't make such a huge marketing campaign. He simply jumped.

If you wish to say it's for writing, then you need to follow the rules for that forum and post in that forum. This forum is for reviewing books and movies, not for speculation outside of our forum guidelines.

Members (and mentors) please pay attention to which forum this is and report, not reply. Since the OP said he was writing, even though he posted in the wrong forum, I've moved it.

AGAIN.

If you wish to say it's for writing, then you need to follow the rules for that forum and post in that forum. This forum is for reviewing books and movies, not for speculation outside of our forum guidelines.

Members (and mentors) please pay attention to which forum this is and report, not reply.