Stephen Wolfram explains how ChatGPT works

In summary: ChatGPTing.In summary, ChatGPT is a program that tries to do the thinking for you in Physics and other subjects. It is currently not very good at handling figures and pictures, but it is getting better. It is important to use it to help students find its mistakes or inaccuracies.
By the way, I really welcome ChatGPT in the classroom. If you think about it, the fact that ChatGPT often gives quite good answers to general introductory level physics and astronomy questions (not mathematical logic, mind you, it's not good at that at all so here I'm talking about lower level classes that do not include much mathematical reasoning), yet does not have any deeper understanding of those answers, means that it simulates the kind of student that can get an A by parroting what they have heard without understanding it at all. The way ChatGPT fools us into thinking it understands its own explanations, is exactly the problem we should be trying to avoid in our students. The worst part is, sometimes our students don't even realize they are only fooling us, because we have trained them to fool themselves as well. We tell them an answer, then ask them the question, and give them an A when they successfully repeat the answer we gave them before. They walk away thinking they learned something, and we think they learned something. But don't dig into their understanding, don't ask them a question which calls on them to think beyond what we told them, if you don't want to dispell this illusion!

Hence, the way to defeat using ChatGPT as a cheat engine is the same as the way to dispell the illusion of understanding where there is not understanding: ask the follow on question, dig into what has been parroted. That's actually one of the things that often happens in this forum, we start with some seemingly simple question, and get a seemingly straightforward answer, but after a few more posts it quickly becomes clear that there was more to the question than what was originally intended by the asker. If we teach students to dig, we are teaching them science. If we teach them to do what ChatGPT does, we cannot complain that ChatGPT can be used to cheat!

Likes gmax137
Science news on Phys.org
I don't know if this is the same topic, but today's New York Times has an article revealing that many travel books offered for sale on amazon today are "fakes", cheap worthless documents written by AI rather than actual humans who have traveled to the relevant countries, just paste ups using freely available material from the internet. I subsequently found several such books advertised there by apparently fake authors such as "William Steeve" (a rip off of Rick Steves), and Mike Darcey. They have apparently taken down the books by "Mike Steves", which were prominently featured in the article. It is not clear to me if Amazon itself is perpetuating this fraud or only abetting it, but some of the kindle books at least seem to be published by amazon. Even the author photographs and biographies are apparently fakes. The biography of "Mike Steves" closely mirrored the biography of Rick Steves, but all the information was apparently false for Mike, including his writing history and his home town, neither of which checked out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/05/...te=1&user_id=73fab36102e49b1b925d02f237c74b7e

Likes David Lewis, PhDeezNutz and BillTre
It certainly does seem like AI makes these kinds of ripoffs much easier, along with all kinds of cons. Since a lot of scams these days originate in other countries, one of the most common tipoffs is strange mistakes in the English, which might be a lot easier to avoid by using AI. Why is it that every new invention comes with all this collateral damage?

Likes BillTre