Stiochemistry practice problems help

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the number of moles of aluminum needed to form 3.4 moles of aluminum oxide in a reaction. The balanced reaction equation is 4Al + 3O2 --> 2Al2O3 and the ratio of aluminum to aluminum oxide is 4:2 or 2:1. To find the number of moles of aluminum, a ratio equation can be set up using the given information.
LraeByrne

Homework Statement

Aluminum oxide is formed from the reaction of metallic aluminum with oxygen gas. How many moles of Aluminum are needed to form 3.4 moles of Aluminum oxide?

Homework Equations

first equation:Al + O2 --> Al2O3 i balanced it at 4Al + 3O2 --> 2Al2O3

The Attempt at a Solution

okay I just really need help understanding this because I have no clue what I am doing and don't understand how to work the problem! please help:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so you've balanced your equation correctly. From this you know that 4 moles of aluminium produce 2 moles of aluminium oxide, and want to calculate the number of moles of Al required to produce 3.4 moles of aluminium oxide (x, say).

1. What is the ratio of Al to Al2O3?
2. Can you set up a ratio equation for x?

Related to Stiochemistry practice problems help

What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationship between reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

Why is stoichiometry important?

Stoichiometry allows us to predict and calculate the amount of products formed in a chemical reaction, as well as determine the amount of reactants needed.

What are some common stoichiometry practice problems?

Some common stoichiometry practice problems include determining the limiting reactant, calculating percent yield, and balancing chemical equations.

How do I approach a stoichiometry problem?

First, identify the given and unknown quantities. Then, use the balanced chemical equation to set up a conversion factor. Finally, solve for the unknown quantity using dimensional analysis.

What are some helpful tips for solving stoichiometry problems?

Some helpful tips include making sure the chemical equation is balanced, using correct units and significant figures, and double-checking your calculations for accuracy.