Stoichiometry: Calculating Reactant Mass from Product Mass

In summary, the conversation discussed a test question about finding the mass of reactants from the mass of a product formed. The process involved calculating moles of the product, using the molar ratio to find moles of reactants, and then multiplying by the molar mass to determine the mass of each reactant. The individual's process was deemed correct and in line with stoichiometry problem-solving.
physicsnobrain
I just wrote a test and will try to remember the question and how I answered it to the best of my ability.It was basically asking the find the mass of reactants from the mass of one of the products formed.

My first step was calculate the moles of the product with known mass.

Once I had the moles I multiplied this by the molar ratio between this product and each respective reactant.

Now I have moles of both reactants, and the next step is to multiply these moles by the correct molar mass of each reactant and this gives you the mass of each. Was my process correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Logic sounds right, that's how stoichiometry problems are solved.

1. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

2. How do you calculate the mole ratio in stoichiometry?

To calculate the mole ratio in stoichiometry, you need to start with a balanced chemical equation and determine the number of moles of each substance involved in the reaction. Then, divide the moles of one substance by the moles of another substance to get the mole ratio.

3. What is the purpose of stoichiometry in chemistry?

The purpose of stoichiometry is to determine the amount of reactants needed to produce a certain amount of products in a chemical reaction, and to predict the amount of products that will be formed from a given amount of reactants.

4. How do you use stoichiometry to solve a problem?

To use stoichiometry to solve a problem, you first need to identify the given information, such as the reactants and their quantities. Then, use the mole ratio to calculate the amount of products that will be formed. Finally, check your answer for accuracy and make any necessary conversions.

5. What are some common units used in stoichiometry calculations?

Some common units used in stoichiometry calculations include moles, grams, liters, and particles (atoms, molecules, ions). It is important to use consistent units throughout the calculation to ensure accurate results.