Stratolaunch carrier plane, active vibration reduction?

In summary, the Stratolaunch has rolled out of its hanger and it is an ugly plane. It has been speculated that the plane has vibration modes that would shake the plane to bits. My guess is that there is some kind of computer controlled inputs to the control surfaces that can actively reduce vibration of the two fuselages relatively to each other?
Spinnor
Gold Member
Interesting new jet plane has rolled out of its hanger.

https://img.purch.com/h/1400/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA2Ni80NjMvb3JpZ2luYWwvZHJvbmUxX3dlYnNpdGUuanBnPzE0OTYyNjgyNTY=

It looks like there are vibration modes of the plane that during normal operation would shake the plane to bits. My guess is that there is some kind of computer controlled inputs to the control surfaces that can actively reduce vibration of the two fuselages relatively to each other? Your thoughts.

Thanks!

See, http://www.space.com/37046-stratolaunch-worlds-largest-airplane-first-rollout.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Spinnor said:
It looks like there are vibration modes of the plane that during normal operation would shake the plane to bits. My guess is that there is some kind of computer controlled inputs to the control surfaces that can actively reduce vibration of the two fuselages relatively to each other?

Sounds like speculation to me, got anything to back up your suspicions? I agree that the wing needs to be very strong to support such a large aircraft, but I'm guessing that's been considered? I'm not sure active damping of vibration via the plane's control surfaces would be necessary.

Twin-fuselage aircraft aren't very new, although this would be the biggest one ever made. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin-fuselage_aircraft

Likes russ_watters
berkeman said:
Is the gap in the middle where they will mount the rocket to be launched?
Yes. It seems to miss the attachment points for the rocket unless they changed over time. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Stratolaunch-apogee.jpg.

No idea about the black slots.

The airplane probably has lower frequencies for various vibration modes involving motion of the fuselages, but that doesn't have to mean they are dangerous.

Likes berkeman
mfb said:
No idea about the black slots.
Hmm, maybe it's only the paint scheme. In some drawings the leading wing edges look normal, and in this picture, it looks to just be paint...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UIZw6pXaXLg/maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

berkeman said:
Wow, that is one ugly aircraft!
Rutan sure doesn't need to sign his "work"!

Mech_Engineer said:
Sounds like speculation to me

I did say my guess %^) The inner wing does not look too strong compared to the size of the fuselages. I would have at least joined the rear elevators like the twin Mustang (turbulence from the payload might nix that idea, then just raise the elevator). That would have eliminated one vibrational mode and reduced another? The anticipated stress on that inner wing must be crazy?

320px-North_American_XP-82_Twin_Mustang_44-83887.Color.jpg

Fly at late at night when the air is less turbulent?

Last edited:
Likes CWatters
I do see what you're saying, I wonder if they're able to depend on the inherent strength of the composite construction? If design of other aircraft is any indicator, the wing is probably the most analyzed structure of the aircraft. Given that, I have to imagine the wing has gone through a very rigorous design review process before getting to the aircraft's build. It will be interesting to see if it has weird vibration modes on takeoff though...

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Mech_Engineer said:
Given that, I have to imagine the wing has gone through a very rigorous design review process before getting to the aircraft's build.

I agree, engineer's get it right way more often then they get it wrong and this type of design is not new.

Rutan%20SpaceShipOne.jpg

voyager10.jpg

The Stratolaunch just seems fragile to me. But it seems that the right supplemental inputs to the control surfaces could reduce stresses on the plane when inflight and might not be too hard to implement? Google does not turn up engineering details. I hope they are successful. Time to look into the sensitivity of inertial sensors.

As shown in the photograph, the wing is going to be subject to both bending and torsional vibration. That would make me very uneasy, but I do hope these fellows have worked through all of it with sufficient care.

1. What is the Stratolaunch carrier plane and what is its purpose?

The Stratolaunch carrier plane is a massive aircraft designed to serve as a launch platform for rockets. Its purpose is to provide a cost-effective and flexible way to launch payloads into space.

2. What is active vibration reduction and why is it important for the Stratolaunch carrier plane?

Active vibration reduction is a technology that uses sensors and actuators to minimize vibrations in an aircraft. For the Stratolaunch carrier plane, this is important because it helps to reduce the stress and fatigue on the aircraft's structure, ensuring its safety and longevity.

3. How does active vibration reduction work on the Stratolaunch carrier plane?

The Stratolaunch carrier plane uses a combination of sensors, actuators, and control algorithms to measure and counteract vibrations. The sensors detect vibrations, and the actuators produce equal and opposite forces to cancel out the vibrations. The control algorithms continuously adjust the actuators to maintain stability and prevent excessive vibrations.

4. What are the benefits of using active vibration reduction on the Stratolaunch carrier plane?

Active vibration reduction provides several benefits for the Stratolaunch carrier plane, including improved safety, increased fuel efficiency, and reduced maintenance costs. It also allows for a smoother and more comfortable flight experience for the crew on board.

5. How does the use of active vibration reduction compare to other vibration reduction methods on the Stratolaunch carrier plane?

The use of active vibration reduction is considered superior to other methods, such as passive vibration reduction, on the Stratolaunch carrier plane. This is because it can adapt to changing conditions and provide real-time adjustments, whereas passive methods are often limited in their effectiveness. Active vibration reduction also allows for a more lightweight and streamlined design, making it more suitable for use on an aircraft like the Stratolaunch carrier plane.