String Theory & Riemann Hypothesis: Is There a Connection?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the possibility of using the mathematics of string theory or versions of it to gain insight into the Riemann hypothesis. One person suggests that computer scientists and physicists should work on increasing computer speed to potentially verify the theorem in the future, while another argues for the importance of proof in mathematics. The conversation also touches on the concept of axioms and their role in determining the consistency of a mathematical system. The discussion concludes with a mention of the RH being used in various calculations.
pivoxa15
Could the maths of string theory or versions of it lead insight into the Riemann hypothesis as, for a start both are about mathematics in the complex plane.

Anyone working on this connection at the moment?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pivoxa15 said:
for a start both are about mathematics in the complex plane.

That probably encompasses 50% of mathematics, picking a number at random that seems plausible.

I'm most 100% sure but I think there are results about RH where it shows that it is true for some upper bound, and all the requires is that the lower bound is verified. However the only problem is that the upper bound is unimaginably huge, current supercomputers could spend millenia verifying those cases. What I say is, whilst mathematicians try to prove the theorem in a more traditional method, computer scientists and physicists should work on increasing computer speed (quantum computing would definitely help). Then perhaps with another few hundred years of computer techonology, a supercomputer could verify the theorem in less an a century? Those are my musings on the subject anyway =]

Gib Z said:
I'm most 100% sure but I think there are results about RH where it shows that it is true for some upper bound, and all the requires is that the lower bound is verified. However the only problem is that the upper bound is unimaginably huge, current supercomputers could spend millenia verifying those cases.

Really? If you find a cite I'd love to see it.

Damn it! Obviously I'm making this up which I wish were true =]

You are missing the point

I think you are missing the point of a proof. It doesn't matter how far 'up or down' computers show that Riemann holds, they can never prove the theory. While it only takes one counterexample to disprove a hypothesis(A point meeting the criteria specified in the RH which is not on the 1/2 line in this case) you can never prove it by counting examples of where it holds on an infinite set.

If there was an upper bound then we could probably put it to bed already as there has been no counterexample up to an absurdly high value of empirical data showing it holds.

I know it seems nit-picky but the concept of proof is what distinguishes mathematics from all of the sciences and even the vagaries of life. Evolution, quantum mechanics, relativity and all of the other cornerstones of our understanding of life, the universe, and all that are theories. This only means we have a sizeable body of evidence that shows we might be right and nobody has proved us wrong. So far there is not one theory of science that is concrete, indisputable and not open to revision by some bright spark working aas a patent clerk tomorrow. It is all just our best guess so far.

In mathematics we do not have theories but magnificent theorems. These great wonders will stand for all time in every corner of the universe and even in other universes. They can not be argued with or changed. That is the true beauty of mathematics.

But keep thinking about it as that is how great problems like this get solved

sepowens said:
In mathematics we do not have theories but magnificent theorems. These great wonders will stand for all time in every corner of the universe and even in other universes. They can not be argued with or changed. That is the true beauty of mathematics.

Oh, no. Unfortunately, in mathematics we have a set of axioms. These axioms as Godel proved a long ago are undecidable as to their truth or not. Thus all theorems ( theories from greek theoro=inspect ) which are logical conclusions of axioms can be refuted, changed, argued, whatever...
If I prove to the scientific community with a childishly ridiculously easy but ingenious counter-example as I have done here in this site that the whole of special relativity theory is grounded on probability premises thus it is not a classical theory, it is not the fault of the theory but of the axioms a classical theory is based upon. Don't you think?

sepowens said:
If there was an upper bound then we could probably put it to bed already as there has been no counterexample up to an absurdly high value of empirical data showing it holds.

I don't know about that. If there was an upper bound of Skewes' number we wouldn't really be any closer to solving the problem, as we'll never be able to test that far directly:

Consider a quantum supercomputer with a googol particles (more than in the whole universe) calculating for a googol seconds (longer than the lifetime of the universe) doing a googol operations per second (faster than any plausible computer). We'll give it
[tex]2^{10^{100}}[/tex]
effective operations per quantum operation since it gets the whole 'quantum speedup' thing. (Yes, this is optimistic.) So the overall speed is
[tex]10^{200}\cdot2^{10^{100}}<e^{e^{230}}<e^{e^{e^{79}}}[/tex]

So even with an impossibly fast quantum supercomputer larger than the universe, a googol seconds aren't long enough to check that bound, even with an atomic 'check the next Riemann zero' function.

sepowens said:
I think you are missing the point of a proof. It doesn't matter how far 'up or down' computers show that Riemann holds, they can never prove the theory.

Sure it does. Lots of calculations are based on the RH holding up to a particular height. Pierre Dusart's excellent bounds on [itex]\pi(x)[/itex] is the first example that comes to mind, but there are many more.

Last edited:
Good point on the axioms. Read Goedel carefully and you will find that for a given set of axioms that it is consistent. Now the choice of axioms is obviously problematic although it can lead to such things as the Euclidian, parabolic and hyperbolic geometry models. The real point is that for a given set of axioms the system will be consistent as Goedel himself pointed out. This leads us to a sureness that the proof will stand based only on the few axioms chosen. The problem that Goedel pointed out is that for any set of axioms that is consistent it can never be complete. That is there will always be questions which can not be answered with any choice of axioms. You can add axioms and reduce this set but it is infinite.

As to other hypothesis depending on the RH holding up to a certain point, it proves nothing as to the validity of the RH itself. It only shows that the criteria for RH are not violated up to the point required by the other hypothesis. They are built on the RH not the other way around. Proving it holds up to the point they need it to do does not mean that it can not fail on the next interval chosen.

Point well taken on Skewes and I will concede that one gladly. Very foolish statement on my part. I suppose I had it in my mind that if we established a definite bound for Riemann that it would be calculable under the given level of technology that established it and terefore within the realm of the current or near future test data. Chose the wrong axiom...

Related to String Theory & Riemann Hypothesis: Is There a Connection?

1. What is String Theory and the Riemann Hypothesis?

String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of the universe by describing the behavior of subatomic particles as tiny, vibrating strings. The Riemann Hypothesis is a conjecture in mathematics that states all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the critical line with real part 1/2.

2. Is there a connection between String Theory and the Riemann Hypothesis?

There is currently no proven connection between String Theory and the Riemann Hypothesis. However, some physicists and mathematicians have proposed possible connections, such as the idea that the Riemann Hypothesis could provide a mathematical framework for understanding the complex dimensions and geometry of String Theory.

3. How does String Theory relate to the Riemann Hypothesis?

One proposed connection between String Theory and the Riemann Hypothesis is through the concept of "mirror symmetry," which states that certain mathematical objects can have different descriptions that are equivalent. This idea has been explored in relation to both String Theory and the Riemann Hypothesis.

4. Has the connection between String Theory and the Riemann Hypothesis been proven?

No, the connection between String Theory and the Riemann Hypothesis has not been proven. While there have been some proposed connections and mathematical explorations, there is currently no concrete proof linking the two theories.

5. Why do scientists and mathematicians study the potential connection between String Theory and the Riemann Hypothesis?

Scientists and mathematicians are interested in exploring the potential connection between String Theory and the Riemann Hypothesis because it could lead to a deeper understanding of both fields and potentially help solve some of the mysteries of the universe. Additionally, the Riemann Hypothesis is one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics, making it an intriguing and challenging area of study for researchers.