Why Do Different Electrolytes Have Varying Molar Conductivities?

• Thread starter physicist888
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weak
In summary, the conversation discusses strong and weak electrolytes and the differences in their molar conductivity. The first question asks why different electrolytes have varying molar conductivity, and the second question involves calculating the degree of dissociation and dissociation constant for a weak electrolyte. The answer to the first question is that strong electrolytes completely dissociate in water, while weak electrolytes only partially dissociate.
physicist888
strong and weak electrolytes-need help pleasez

hi all
i need help to solve the following exercise

Given: strong electrolyt limiting molar conductivity of ion i ( S.Cm2/mol)
HCl 426.1
CH3COONA 91.05
HF 405
NaCl 126.5
1- why did thos electrolyts has a different molar conductivity?
2- calculate the degree of dissociation alpha and the constant of dissociation K for a weak electrolyt CH3COOH dilute at 0.6. given the molar conductivity equal 195.3 Cm2/mol. (show the calculation in details)

Physics news on Phys.org
Why does everyone have questions like these? :(

Are there any formulas? And are you calculating the equillibrium constant? Please re-write the question clearer with units. I will try to help you o:)

I think the answer to the first question is because strong acids such as HCL and HF dissociate completely in water making them strong electrolytes. NaCl is a strong base so it also dissociates completely in water. Weak acids such as carboxylic acids dissociate partially in water giving them a weaker electrical current.

Related to Why Do Different Electrolytes Have Varying Molar Conductivities?

What is the difference between strong and weak electrolytes?

Strong electrolytes completely dissociate into ions when dissolved in water, while weak electrolytes only partially dissociate. This means that strong electrolytes conduct electricity more efficiently than weak electrolytes.

What are some examples of strong electrolytes?

Some examples of strong electrolytes include sodium chloride (table salt), potassium hydroxide, and sulfuric acid.

Can a substance be both a strong and weak electrolyte?

No, a substance can only be classified as either a strong or weak electrolyte depending on its degree of dissociation in water.

What factors affect the strength of an electrolyte?

The strength of an electrolyte can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration, and the nature of the ions present in the substance.

Why are strong electrolytes important in chemistry?

Strong electrolytes play a crucial role in many chemical reactions and processes, such as electrolysis, acid-base reactions, and redox reactions. They are also important in industries such as medicine, agriculture, and manufacturing.