Structures, Beams: Proof of formulas for a beam

In summary, the formulas for bending moments in beams with different support conditions and loadings can be derived using basic statics and assumptions about material properties. These formulas are often used in structural analysis and can be found in tables for quick calculations.
hmvv
Ok I'm struggling with something here. I am rusty so have probably just misunderstood something simple mathematically. There are equations to create the Bending moment diagram for each different type of beam subject to a UDL; cantilever, simply supported, fully fixed ends etc. However I just don't understand how they got them.

A simply supported beam with a UDL of q and length L will have bending moments at each end of (qL^2)/2. That I get and can show proof yet its the centre moment I cannot reproduce, (qL^2)/8

Or cantilever at free end, (qL^4)/8EI {I do understand the EI bit btw}

and fully fixed beams atall, (qL^2)/12 at ends and (qL^2)/24 in the centre. {Doesn't make sense to me as the reaction forces are still the same as a simply suppoted beam: qL/2}

People write these on their beams when doing other structural analysis like its obvious yet I just can't see it. Clearly I've forgotten some basics about beams and I'm baffled, anyone care to help?

thanks in advance :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
hmvv said:
Ok I'm struggling with something here. I am rusty so have probably just misunderstood something simple mathematically. There are equations to create the Bending moment diagram for each different type of beam subject to a UDL; cantilever, simply supported, fully fixed ends etc. However I just don't understand how they got them.

Most of the beam formulas can be derived using simple statics. An introductory text on strength of materials will probably derive some of these formulas as examples.
A simply supported beam with a UDL of q and length L will have bending moments at each end of (qL^2)/2. That I get and can show proof yet its the centre moment I cannot reproduce, (qL^2)/8

If a beam is simply-supported at both ends, the bending moments there will both be equal to zero, not qL2/2. A moment would develop at the ends of the beam only if the ends of the beam were restrained from rotating, which they can't be if there is only a simple support. The central bending moment for a simply supported beam with a UDL is indeed qL2/8.
Or cantilever at free end, (qL^4)/8EI {I do understand the EI bit btw}
The deflection of a cantilever is equal to qL4/8EI, not the bending moment, so you have to be clear about what you are discussing here.
and fully fixed beams atall, (qL^2)/12 at ends and (qL^2)/24 in the centre. {Doesn't make sense to me as the reaction forces are still the same as a simply suppoted beam: qL/2}
The reactions are going to be the same for a beam of the same length and total loading because the two beams still must each be in static equilibrium. (That is, the sum of the reactions on the beam is equal to and opposite of the total applied load.)

However, because the ends of the beams may be restrained differently (fixed versus simple supports), the bending moments may not be distributed in the same way along the length of each beam.

People write these on their beams when doing other structural analysis like its obvious yet I just can't see it. Clearly I've forgotten some basics about beams and I'm baffled, anyone care to help?

thanks in advance :)
People write these equations because they have learned them and probably use them frequently. They don't need to derive them every time their use is required. That's why beams of different combinations of support conditions and loadings are compiled: you can use the tables to calculate reactions, moments, and deflections quickly without having to go thru a lengthy derivation each time.

Here is a table of some common beam formulas:

http://www.awc.org/pdf/DA6-BeamFormulas.pdf

1. What is the purpose of proving formulas for a beam?

The purpose of proving formulas for a beam is to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the calculations used in structural engineering. By proving these formulas, we can have confidence that the structures we build will be safe and able to withstand the expected loads.

2. How are these formulas for beams derived?

The formulas for beams are derived using principles of mechanics, particularly statics and strength of materials. These principles take into account factors such as the material properties of the beam, the applied loads, and the support conditions.

3. Are there different formulas for different types of beams?

Yes, there are different formulas for different types of beams. The type of beam, such as a cantilever or simply supported beam, will affect the distribution of the loads and the resulting stresses and deflections. Therefore, different formulas are needed to accurately calculate these values for each type of beam.

4. How do you validate the accuracy of these formulas?

The accuracy of these formulas can be validated through experimental testing and comparison with real-world applications. By testing beams under controlled conditions and comparing the results to the calculated values, we can ensure that the formulas are accurate and reliable.

5. Can these formulas be used for all types of materials?

The formulas for beams are generally applicable to all types of materials, as long as the material properties are taken into account. However, some materials may have unique properties that require specific adjustments to the formulas. It is important to consider the material being used when applying these formulas.