Struggling with QM lectures? Need a helpful self-teaching book?

• Quantum
  • Thread starter KaBash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Qm
In summary, the person is looking for help teaching themselves Quantum Mechanics (QM) for a third year course. They are having trouble following the lecturers notes and teaching style. They are seeking a book that has plenty of examples and is helpful with topics such as the experimental facts that led to the development of quantum theory, waves and particles, fundamentals and formalism of quantum mechanics, the simple harmonic oscillator, and angular momentum in QM. The suggested books are Cohen-Tannoudji's Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications and Zettili's Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications for its worked out examples.
KaBash
I'm looking for help teaching myself QM. I am taking a a third year course in my degree in QM but I can't follow the lecturers notes/teaching style. The topics we will be covering are;

Introduction: experimental facts that led to the development of quantum theory
Waves and particles: the basic concepts of quantum mechanic
Fundamentals and formalism of quantum mechanics
The simple harmonic oscillator
Angular momentum in QM

If anybody could suggest a QM book that has plenty of examples and is helpful with the above topics I would be very grateful! (Thanks in advance)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you listed there is standard intro QM. Go to the library and look into the books there until you find a style that suits you.

I personally like Cohen-Tannoudji's books.

Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications by Zettili has a lot of worked out examples.

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics (QM) is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. It explains how particles interact with each other and how they behave in different situations.

2. Why is it important to learn QM?

Quantum Mechanics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of matter and energy. It has also led to the development of many technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory, that have greatly impacted our daily lives.

3. How can I learn QM on my own?

There are many resources available for self-teaching QM, such as textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra, before diving into QM.

4. What are some of the key concepts in QM?

Some key concepts in QM include wave-particle duality, superposition, and the uncertainty principle. These concepts help explain the behavior of particles at the microscopic level and are essential for understanding QM.

5. What are some applications of QM?

Quantum Mechanics has many applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. Some notable applications include quantum computing, nuclear energy, and medical imaging techniques like MRI machines.