Student Course Review for my 12 y/o ESL science student in Japan

• Thread starter cloa513
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teaching
In summary, the speaker has taught a student with intellectual disabilities and ESL in junior high school. The principal of the small school where the student attends has requested a report on the student's progress, and the speaker is asked to submit a one-page report with 400 words within a week. The speaker also inquires about the student's home and learning support, as well as any potential learning disabilities that could affect his schoolwork.
cloa513
I taught him about 3 times in the previous month.The student is a bit intellectually handicapped and ESL. He is in junior high school student so he is about 12 years old.
From my principal in this tiny school (has only two students now used to have a few more)

Good evening! How are you, although this rainy season has been finishing
actually in the Kanto district.?
I am very fine so that I did jog around Shinjuku station in the morning.

Anyway, I'd like to appreciate you for having taught this student in this
spring term.
We are now starting to write students' reports by the end of this
month.
So, please submit your report for the student one page with 400 words in a
week.

You'll be appreciated for your kind understanding the above situation
and for your kind cooperation.

Have a nice summer vacation.

From his assistant
Thank you for yesterday's message.

As for the report, consider it like a review of this terms lessons.
What is the subject, what he did well or not, etc.

Attachments

• Student Course Review.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Science news on Phys.org
This sounds like a very challenging young student to teach. Does he have good support at home? I was under the impression that Japanese parents typically were very supportive of their children's schoolwork, and even pushed them a bit to excel. Is that not the case here?

Also, do you know if he has been tested for any learning disabilities? If he suffers from dyslexia, that could explain some of his reluctance to do his homework assignments.

1. What is the purpose of a student course review for an ESL science student in Japan?

The purpose of a student course review is to gather feedback and evaluate the effectiveness of the course for the student. It allows the teacher to understand what aspects of the course are working well and what areas may need improvement. It also gives the student an opportunity to reflect on their learning and express their thoughts and opinions about the course.

2. How often should a student course review be conducted?

The frequency of student course reviews can vary depending on the length of the course and the goals of the review. It is recommended to conduct a review at least once per semester or after completing a major unit of study. This allows for regular check-ins and adjustments to be made as needed.

3. What types of questions should be included in a student course review?

A student course review should include a mix of open-ended and close-ended questions. Open-ended questions allow the student to express their thoughts and opinions in their own words, while close-ended questions provide specific feedback on certain aspects of the course. It is important to include questions that cover various aspects of the course such as content, teaching methods, and class materials.

4. How should the results of a student course review be used?

The results of a student course review should be carefully analyzed by the teacher to identify areas of strength and areas for improvement. The feedback should be used to make adjustments to the course and teaching methods to better meet the needs of the student. It is also important to communicate the results and any changes made to the student to show that their feedback is valued.

5. How can a student course review be made more effective?

To make a student course review more effective, it is important to create a safe and non-judgmental environment for the student to share their thoughts and opinions. The questions should be clear and easy to understand, and the review should be conducted at an appropriate time when the student is not feeling stressed or overwhelmed. It can also be helpful to provide the student with a self-reflection sheet to help guide their thoughts before the review.