How Do You Calculate the 12th Root of x to the Fourth Power?

• B
  • Thread starter EvilScientist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root
In summary: For a quick and dirty approximation, you can use ##\sqrt[12]{25^{4}} = 2^{4/12} = 2^{1/3} = 1.259921....##, which is just a little larger than ##\sqrt[3]{25}##. The exact value of ##\sqrt[3]{25}## is ##25^{1/3} = 2.924017738212866...##.
EvilScientist
TL;DR Summary
Finding the root to an exponent that's larger than the root.
I feel incredibly stupid for not getting this. I found this math problem in the beginning of my precalculus book:

12√x^4

That's 12th root of x to the fourth power. How do I find the root of x if the root is larger than the exponent?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
EvilScientist said:
Summary: Finding the root to an exponent that's larger than the root.

I feel incredibly stupid for not getting this. I found this math problem in the beginning of my precalculus book:

12√x^4

That's 12th root of x to the fourth power. How do I find the root of x if the root is larger than the exponent?
LaTeX is your friend. See the link to our tutorial in the lower left corner of the input window.

##\sqrt[12]{x^4}## can be rewritten as ##(x^4)^{1/12} = x^{4/12} = x^{1/3}## using the usual laws of exponents. A simpler form of your expression is ##\sqrt[3] x##.

And technically, this is not something to "solve," an action that we can apply to equations or inequalities. What I did was to simplify the expression you wrote.

• Informative
Likes mfb, DaveC426913, EvilScientist and 1 other person
Mark44 said:
LaTeX is your friend. See the link to our tutorial in the lower left corner of the input window.

##\sqrt[12]{x^4}## can be rewritten as ##(x^4)^{1/12} = x^{4/12} = x^{1/3}## using the usual laws of exponents. A simpler form of your expression is ##\sqrt[3] x##.

And technically, this is not something to "solve," an action that we can apply to equations or inequalities. What I did was to simplify the expression you wrote.
Thank you! It makes a lot more sense to me now. I haven't done this stuff in years and I am trying to brush off my math skills before taking any classes. Needless to say, my math skills are very rusty. Thanks again, I really appreciate it. I'll try learning how to use LaTeX, I'm probably going to need it later.

Likes berkeman and PeroK
EvilScientist said:
I'll try learning how to use LaTeX
Start now! Its like riding a bicycle...maybe less fun to learn.

Hi, @EvilScientist , could your question hide a deeper concern? Calculus. I mean, nobody knows the value of ##\sqrt[12]{x^{4}}##, if ##x=25##, for instance. Only knows can approximate.
LaTeX is fun

Nothing to feel stupid about here. This is really just an issue with not knowing the jargon of that sort of math. We are all stupid about the stuff we haven't learned yet. Go forth and be stupid, ask questions, that's how we all learned this stuff.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu, MevsEinstein and hutchphd
mcastillo356 said:
Hi, @EvilScientist , could your question hide a deeper concern? Calculus. I mean, nobody knows the value of ##\sqrt[12]{x^{4}}##, if ##x=25##, for instance. Only knows can approximate.
This has nothing to do with calculus -- ##\sqrt[12]{25^{4}} = \sqrt[3]{25}## is the exact value, but this happens to be irrational, so writing it as a decimal number will be only an approximation. BTW, ##\sqrt[3]{25}## is little less than 3.

Likes mcastillo356

1. What is the meaning of "finding the root of x^4" in math?

Finding the root of x^4 means finding the value of x that, when raised to the fourth power, equals a given number. This is also known as solving for x in the equation x^4 = y, where y is a given number.

2. How do you find the root of x^4?

To find the root of x^4, you can use the inverse operation of raising a number to the fourth power, which is taking the fourth root. This can be done by using a calculator or by using the power rule for radicals, where the fourth root of x^4 is equal to the square root of the square root of x.

3. Can the root of x^4 be a negative number?

Yes, the root of x^4 can be a negative number. This is because when a negative number is raised to an even power, the result is a positive number. For example, the fourth root of (-2)^4 is equal to 2.

4. What is the difference between the root of x^4 and the fourth root of x?

The root of x^4 is the value of x that, when raised to the fourth power, equals a given number. The fourth root of x, on the other hand, is the number that, when raised to the fourth power, equals x. In other words, the root of x^4 is the solution to the equation x^4 = y, while the fourth root of x is the inverse operation of raising x to the fourth power.

5. Can the root of x^4 be a complex number?

Yes, the root of x^4 can be a complex number. This can happen when the given number y is a negative number, as the fourth root of a negative number is a complex number. For example, the fourth root of -16 is equal to 2i, where i is the imaginary unit.