Subsequence - absolute convergence

In summary, a subsequence is a sequence that is derived from another sequence by skipping some elements without changing the order of the remaining elements. Absolute convergence is a type of convergence in which a series of numbers or functions converges when the absolute values of its terms are considered. Absolute convergence can be used to determine if a subsequence of a series also converges. The difference between absolute and conditional convergence lies in the behavior of the series when the signs of its terms are changed. To prove absolute convergence of a subsequence, you can use various tests such as the comparison test, ratio test, or root test, as well as theorems and properties of absolute convergence.
alexmahone
Let $\{a_n\}$ be a sequence, and $\{a_{n_i}\}$ be any subsequence. Prove that if $\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n$ is absolutely convergent, then $\sum_{i=0}^\infty a_{n_i}$ is absolutely convergent.

My attempt:

$\sum |\ a_n|$ is convergent.

$b_n=\left\{ \begin{array}{rcl}|a_{n_i}|\ &\text{for}& \ n=n_i \\ 0\ &\text{for}& \ n\neq n_i\end{array} \right.$

$0\le b_n\le\ |a_n|$ for all $n$.

Since $\sum |\ a_n|$ converges, $\sum b_n$ converges.

So, $\sum|\ a_{n_i}|$ converges. ($\because\sum_{n=0}^{n_i}b_n=\sum_{i=0}^i|\ a_{n_i}|$)

Is that okay?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexmahone said:
Let $\{a_n\}$ be a sequence, and $\{a_{n_i}\}$ be any subsequence. Prove that if $\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n$ is absolutely convergent, then $\sum_{i=0}^\infty a_{n_i}$ is absolutely convergent.

My attempt:

$\sum |\ a_n|$ is convergent.

$b_n=\left\{ \begin{array}{rcl}|a_{n_i}|\ &\text{for}& \ n=n_i \\ 0\ &\text{for}& \ n\neq n_i\end{array} \right.$

$0\le b_n\le\ |a_n|$ for all $n$.

Since $\sum |\ a_n|$ converges, $\sum b_n$ converges.

So, $\sum|\ a_{n_i}|$ converges. ($\because\sum_{n=0}^{n_i}b_n=\sum_{i=0}^i|\ a_{n_i}|$)

Is that okay?
Yes, that works.

Yes, your proof is correct. You have correctly used the fact that the absolute value of a subsequence is always less than or equal to the absolute value of the original sequence, and that the convergence of the original series implies the convergence of the subsequence. Well done!

What is a subsequence?

A subsequence is a sequence that is derived from another sequence by skipping some elements without changing the order of the remaining elements.

What is absolute convergence?

Absolute convergence is a type of convergence in which a series of numbers or functions converges when the absolute values of its terms are considered.

How is absolute convergence related to subsequence?

Absolute convergence can be used to determine if a subsequence of a series also converges. If the original series absolutely converges, then any subsequence of it will also absolutely converge.

What is the difference between absolute convergence and conditional convergence?

The difference between absolute and conditional convergence lies in the behavior of the series when the signs of its terms are changed. A series is absolutely convergent if the series of the absolute values of its terms converges, while a series is conditionally convergent if the series of its terms converges but the series of the absolute values diverges.

How can I prove absolute convergence of a subsequence?

To prove absolute convergence of a subsequence, you can use the comparison test, ratio test, or root test to show that the series of the absolute values of its terms converges. You can also use theorems such as the Absolute Convergence Test or the Alternating Series Test, depending on the specific series. Additionally, you can use properties of absolute convergence, such as the fact that if a series is absolutely convergent, then any rearrangement of its terms will also converge to the same value.