Subtracting functions on specified domains

In summary, you can subtract f(x) on domain [b,c] from g(x) on domain [a,d] if you define new functions F and G where F(x) = f(x) if x ∈ [b,c] and F(x) = 0 elsewhere.
Physics news on Phys.org
2thumbsGuy said:
What I've come to discover is that I want to understand how I can subtract f(x) on domain [b,c] from g(x) on domain [a,d].

Edit: I think I misread.
I need clarification. Do you mean f(x) is defined on more than [b,c], or f has domain [b,c]

both f(x) and g(x) have values outside of the defined domains, but I want to only consider the values within their respective defined domains.

I'll be using this in some software, so maybe it's best that I constrain the domains within the software instead of in the math, but I wanted to get all possible approaches before committing to a single answer.

2thumbsGuy said:
both f(x) and g(x) have values outside of the defined domains, but I want to only consider the values within their respective defined domains.

Okay that part is easy.
Define new functions F and G where
##F(x) = f(x)## if ##x \in [b,c]## and ##F(x) = 0## elsewhere.
Do the same with G.

Second question: do we know ##[b,c] \subset [a,d]##?

Thank you very much! This is familiar.

To your second question, the domains will vary according to circumstance. For this case we can use a = 1, b = 2, c = 3, d = 4. But they will change many, many times.

Actually, I think the programming solution would be the same as the math solution. As you say, f(x) if x∈[b,c] and F(x)=0 elsewhere, and the same for g(x). This is normal if/then scenario.

I know how I can do this! Thanks for helping me think through it.

1. What is the purpose of subtracting functions on specified domains?

Subtracting functions on specified domains allows us to find the difference between two functions within a specific range of values. This can help us analyze the behavior of the functions and make predictions about their future behavior.

2. How do you subtract two functions on specified domains?

To subtract two functions on specified domains, we first identify the common domain or range of the two functions. Then, we simply subtract the output values of one function from the output values of the other function within this common range.

3. What is the difference between subtracting functions on specified domains and subtracting functions on the entire real number line?

Subtracting functions on specified domains is more specific and allows us to analyze the behavior of the functions within a certain range. Subtracting functions on the entire real number line includes all possible values, which may not give us as much insight into the behavior of the functions.

4. Can we subtract functions on specified domains if they have different domains?

No, in order to subtract functions on specified domains, they must have the same domain or at least a common domain within the specified range. Otherwise, the subtraction would not make mathematical sense.

5. What are some real-life applications of subtracting functions on specified domains?

Subtracting functions on specified domains is commonly used in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can help us analyze the change in distance or velocity of an object over a specific time period, or the change in demand or supply of a product within a certain price range.