Suggestions for videos teaching engineering concepts

In summary, when creating videos to teach engineering concepts, it is important to keep the content focused and organized. Use clear and concise language, and include visual aids and hands-on demonstrations to engage viewers and aid in understanding complex concepts. Incorporate real-world examples and practical applications to make the content more relatable and applicable. It is also crucial to continually assess and adapt the teaching style to cater to different learning styles and levels of understanding.
MitchellRosenthal256
I hope to one day help engineering students by having a wealth of videos that cover the "weed-out" courses (in the first two years of engineering curriculum).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make these videos be the best that they can be? I plan to do narrated powerpoints, but I take a lot of time to make the illustrations (using color-coding, annotating graphs, including tips ,etc.) and script the instruction.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
:welcome:

I applaud your ambition. Sharing your knowledge is noble. Stick around PF, and you'll see lots of experts doing just that.

I suggest that you look at https://www.khanacademy.org/ Try watching a few of their lessons, and read on the website about their teaching technology.

Sal Khan has developed highly effective means of teaching using videos. One thing is the way he uses graphics. Another was his "accidental" discovery that 10 minutes is a sort of magic number for the length of a session. A third is his dedication to 100% comprehension and testing/advancement on a micro level. I know that I was very impressed by his teaching technology.

If you dig, you may find video interviews and written articles discussing Khan's methods. Also, the software tools he uses to make the videos. It is also not crazy that you might be able to create an alliance with Khan Academy and work together with them.

I also recommend that you have a look at Professor Leonard Susskind's video lectures. I linked one below. His courses are highly effective and popular, but his teaching methods are very different than Sal Khan's.

1. Susskind's lectures are 90-120 minutes long. (Although I have learned to view them in 10 minute sessions.)
  2. Susskind uses the blackboard. But watching them you can see how critical the zoom and pan of the camera operator are. Almost all videos of classroom lectures with fixed cameras are useless because they lack the zoom and pan.
  3. As a Susskind student, I also learned to (a) rewind/replay whenever I missed a point, (b) to pause, and go to Wikipedia in another window whenever he uses math that I'm rusty on.
  4. Know your audience. Khan targets young people. Susskind targeted retired people with technical educations. Your lessons should be designed for a particular target audience.
Power point presentations are notorious for being boring. If you bore your students, they'll stop watching and your efforts will be wasted. All of us have different standards and are less forgiving for TV presentations than for face-to-face live encounters. For example, we are used to people who say ah, um, or "you know" in everyday conversations, but when a speaker on TV does that too much, we change the channel. Top quality orgs like NPR edit out all those ahs,ums, and stumbles before the broadcast.

Using power points without being boring is a public speaking skill learned by practice. Toastmasters International (https://www.toastmasters.org/) has thousands of local clubs. Joining a local club will definitely help you to improve your speaking skills. They even have a specific project on power point presentations. They also teach you how to tailor your style to the audience. Most of all, attending toastmaster meetings is very enjoyable.

Edit: here is one of Susskind's lectures.

Last edited:

1. What are some good topics to cover in videos about engineering concepts?

Some good topics to cover in videos teaching engineering concepts might include basic principles of engineering, such as problem-solving techniques, design thinking, and project management. Other topics could include specific engineering disciplines, such as mechanical, electrical, or civil engineering, as well as concepts like computer-aided design (CAD), coding, and prototyping.

2. How can I make my engineering videos engaging and easy to understand?

To make your engineering videos engaging and easy to understand, try incorporating real-world examples and hands-on demonstrations. You can also use visual aids, such as diagrams and animations, to help explain complex concepts. Additionally, breaking down information into bite-sized chunks and using clear and concise language can also make your videos more accessible to viewers.

3. Are there any specific software or tools that are useful for creating engineering videos?

There are several software and tools that can be useful for creating engineering videos, depending on the type of content you want to produce. For example, if you want to create 3D animations or visualizations, programs like Autodesk Maya or Blender can be helpful. For screen recordings or tutorials, programs like Camtasia or OBS Studio can be useful. Alternatively, you can also use presentation software like PowerPoint or Prezi to create slideshows with accompanying narration.

4. How can I incorporate real-life applications into my engineering videos?

Incorporating real-life applications into your engineering videos can help make the concepts more relatable and applicable to viewers. You can do this by using case studies or examples from current or historical engineering projects, interviewing professionals in the field, or showcasing projects and prototypes that you have worked on. You can also encourage viewers to apply the concepts they learn in the videos to their own projects or ideas.

5. Can I use copyrighted materials in my engineering videos?

You should always be mindful of copyright laws when creating engineering videos. If you want to use copyrighted materials, such as images, videos, or music, you should obtain permission from the copyright holder or ensure that your use falls under fair use guidelines. Alternatively, you can use royalty-free or creative commons licensed materials in your videos. Be sure to properly credit and attribute any materials you use to avoid any legal issues.