Sum and difference with radians.

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in breaking down angles, specifically pi/7, into a form that can be easily worked with. The person suggests converting it to degrees but acknowledges that it may be unnecessary and proposes using a different angular measurement system. The speaker also mentions the use of calculators to calculate trigonometric functions. The conversation then briefly touches on the concept of constructable angles and how angles in the form of m*pi/n can be constructable if the factors of n are limited to certain numbers.
Tyrion101
I think I understand the basic ideas of the sum and difference formulas, I just don't get how to break down say, pi/7 into a form that could be worked with. I could convert it to a degree then back again once I have my answer, but that seems like a lot more work than is necessary. If it were 100 degrees I'd just find some form of 100 degrees that I knew had an angle that was on the unit circle. 100 degrees doesn't seem to work very well but you get what I'm attempting to ask here. Also, can it only work if it is an angle that can be divided evenly like 120 degrees?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your difficulty.

Are you saying that you don't understand pi/3 as a radian measure and so (1/3)pi + (1/2)pi = (5/6) pi is something in fractions you can't handle?

Tyrion101 said:
I think I understand the basic ideas of the sum and difference formulas, I just don't get how to break down say, pi/7 into a form that could be worked with. I could convert it to a degree then back again once I have my answer, but that seems like a lot more work than is necessary. If it were 100 degrees I'd just find some form of 100 degrees that I knew had an angle that was on the unit circle. 100 degrees doesn't seem to work very well but you get what I'm attempting to ask here. Also, can it only work if it is an angle that can be divided evenly like 120 degrees?

Well, there is an angular measurement system made for the math-challenged and civil engineers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradian

The angular unit is called the 'gon', but it also used to be known as the 'grad' or 'gradian'. There are 400 grads in one revolution of a circle, or 100 grads in a right angle.
Calculators are often equipped to calculate trig functions using angles measured in degrees, radians, or grads, usually by flipping a switch or setting a special mode.

It's still not clear what your original complaint is about. If you want to calculate sin (π/7), you put your calculator into radian mode, calculate π/7, and take the sine of that angle.

All angles are on the unit circle. Maybe you are talking about constructable angles? An angle m*pi/n in lowest terms is constructable if and only if the factors of n are limited to any power of 2 and Fermat primes (known ones being 3, 5, 17, 257, 65537) at most once each. In trigonometry class one tents to consider multiples of pi/15/2^k. Note that pi/ 7 and 100 degrees are not constructable.

What is the formula for finding the sum of two angles in radians?

The formula for finding the sum of two angles in radians is:
sum = angle1 + angle2

How do you find the difference between two angles in radians?

The difference between two angles in radians can be found by subtracting the smaller angle from the larger one.
difference = larger angle - smaller angle

Can you add or subtract angles in radians and degrees together?

No, you cannot add or subtract angles in radians and degrees together. They are two different units of measurement and cannot be directly compared.
However, you can convert one unit to the other before performing mathematical operations.

What is the range of values for angles measured in radians?

The range of values for angles measured in radians is from 0 to 2π (or 0 to 360 degrees). This is considered one full rotation around a circle.

Why are radians preferred over degrees in mathematics?

Radians are preferred over degrees in mathematics because they are a more natural unit of measurement for angles. They are based on the radius of a circle and provide a consistent ratio between an arc length and a radius. This makes it easier to work with in mathematical equations and proofs.