Sum of a rational number and an irrational number ....

In summary, the author is trying to provide a rigorous proof for an exercise that is trivial, and is having difficulty doing so.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am trying without success to provide a rigorous proof for the following exercise:

Show that the sum of a rational number and an irrational number is irrational.Can someone please help me with a rigorous solution ...I am working from the following books:

Ethan D. Bloch: The Real Numbers and Real Analysis

and

Derek Goldrei: Classic Set TheoryBoth use a Dedekind Cut approach to the construction of the real numbers (but Goldrei also uses Cauchy Sequences ... )
I am taking the definition of an irrational number as equivalent to an irrational cut as defined by Bloch as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7014To assist those members reading this post I am providing Bloch's definition of a Dedekind Cut plus a Lemma indicating the that there are at least as many of them as there are rational numbers ...https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7015Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am trying without success to provide a rigorous proof for the following exercise:

Show that the sum of a rational number and an irrational number is irrational.Can someone please help me with a rigorous solution ...I am working from the following books:

Ethan D. Bloch: The Real Numbers and Real Analysis

and

Derek Goldrei: Classic Set TheoryBoth use a Dedekind Cut approach to the construction of the real numbers (but Goldrei also uses Cauchy Sequences ... )
I am taking the definition of an irrational number as equivalent to an irrational cut as defined by Bloch as follows:To assist those members reading this post I am providing Bloch's definition of a Dedekind Cut plus a Lemma indicating the that there are at least as many of them as there are rational numbers ...Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

After reflecting on this problem ... I now think that the answer to the exercise above may be disappointingly trivial ...

Consider the following:

Let \(\displaystyle a \in \mathbb{Q}\) and let \(\displaystyle b \in \mathbb{R}\) \ \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q}\)

Then suppose a + b = r

Now ... assume r is rational

Then b = r - a ...

But since r and a are rational ... we have r - a is rational ..

Then ... we have that an irrational number b is equal to a rational number ...

Contradiction!

So ... r is irrational ..
Is that correct?

Peter

Last edited:
No need for "Dedekind cuts". All that is needed is that the rational numbers are closed under subtraction: if [tex]x= \frac{a}{b}[/tex] and [tex]y= \frac{c}{d}[/tex] are rational numbers, then [tex]x- y= \frac{a}{b}- \frac{c}{d}= \frac{ad- bc}{bd}[/tex] is rational number.

Now, in contradiction, suppose a is rational and b is irrational and that there sum, c, is rational. From a+ b= c, we have a= c- b, contradicting the fact that the difference of two rational numbers is rational.

HallsofIvy said:
No need for "Dedekind cuts". All that is needed is that the rational numbers are closed under subtraction: if [tex]x= \frac{a}{b}[/tex] and [tex]y= \frac{c}{d}[/tex] are rational numbers, then [tex]x- y= \frac{a}{b}- \frac{c}{d}= \frac{ad- bc}{bd}[/tex] is rational number.

Now, in contradiction, suppose a is rational and b is irrational and that there sum, c, is rational. From a+ b= c, we have a= c- b, contradicting the fact that the difference of two rational numbers is rational.
Thanks HallsofIvy ... appreciate the help ...

Peter

1. What is a rational number?

A rational number is any number that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, where the denominator is not equal to zero. This includes whole numbers, fractions, and decimals that terminate or repeat.

2. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is any number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. These numbers have an infinite number of non-repeating decimal places and cannot be written as a fraction.

3. Can the sum of a rational number and an irrational number be rational?

No, the sum of a rational number and an irrational number will always be irrational. This is because the decimal expansion of an irrational number goes on forever without repeating, making it impossible to express as a ratio of two integers.

4. Can the sum of a rational number and an irrational number be zero?

Yes, the sum of a rational number and an irrational number can be zero if the irrational number is the negative of the rational number. For example, 1 + (-1) = 0, where 1 is a rational number and -1 is an irrational number.

5. How do you add a rational number and an irrational number?

To add a rational number and an irrational number, you can treat the irrational number as a variable and use the rules of addition for variables. For example, 2 + sqrt(2) is the sum of a rational number and an irrational number, and it cannot be simplified further.