Sum of the first n squares?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a general definition and a "telescoping sum" to determine the sum of the first n squares. The left side of the equality is a bit confusing, but it is explained by the fact that (k+1)^3 can be expanded to k^3+3k^2+3k+1.
sleepwalker27
I found a deduction to determinate de sum of the first n squares. However there is a part on it that i didn't understood.

We use the next definition: [tex](k+1)^3 - k^3 = 3k^2 + 3k +1[/tex], then we define [tex]k= 1, ... , n[/tex] and then we sum...

[tex]
(n+1)^3 -1 = 3\sum_{k=0}^{n}k^{2} +3\sum_{k=0}^{n}k+ n
[/tex]

The left side of the equality is the one that i didn't understood. Why [tex](k+1)^3 - k^3[/tex] changes in that way?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
((n+1)3-n3) + (n3-(n-1)3) + ((n-1)3-(n-2)3) ...

The first term for k is canceled by the second term for k+1. This leaves the first term for k=n and the second for k=1.

sleepwalker27 said:
We use the next definition: [tex](k+1)^3 - k^3 = 3k^2 + 3k +1[/tex]

A general definition is ## \triangle F(k) = F(k+1) - F(k) ##
So ##\triangle ( k^3) = (k+1)^3 - k^3 ##

A general trick is the "telescoping sum":
##\sum_{k=1}^n \triangle F(k) = (F(1+1) - F(1)) + ( F(2+1) - F(2)) + (F(3+1) - F(3)) + ...+ F(n+1) - F(n)##
## = ( F(2) - F(1)) + (F(3) - F(2)) + (F(4) - F(3)) + ... + (F(n+1) - F(n)) ##
## = -F(1) + (F(2) - F(2)) + (F(3) - F(3)) + ...+ (F(n) - F(n))+ F(n+1) ##
## = F(n+1) - F(1) ##

So ## \sum_{k=1}^n \triangle k^3 = (n+1)^3 - 1^3##

sleepwalker27 said:
I found a deduction to determinate de sum of the first n squares. However there is a part on it that i didn't understood.

We use the next definition: [tex](k+1)^3 - k^3 = 3k^2 + 3k +1[/tex], then we define [tex]k= 1, ... , n[/tex] and then we sum...

[tex]
(n+1)^3 -1 = 3\sum_{k=0}^{n}k^{2} +3\sum_{k=0}^{n}k+ n
[/tex]

The left side of the equality is the one that i didn't understood. Why [tex](k+1)^3 - k^3[/tex] changes in that way?
[itex](k+1)^3=k^3+3k^2+3k+1[/itex]. Expand the expression.

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of the first n squares?

The formula for finding the sum of the first n squares is (n(n+1)(2n+1))/6.

2. How do you prove the formula for finding the sum of the first n squares?

The formula can be proved using mathematical induction.

3. What is the significance of the sum of the first n squares in mathematics?

The sum of the first n squares is used in many mathematical proofs and is also related to important concepts such as the sum of consecutive integers and the binomial theorem.

4. Can the formula for finding the sum of the first n squares be generalized for any value of n?

Yes, the formula can be generalized for any value of n using the concept of triangular numbers. The formula becomes (n(n+1)(n+2))/6.

5. How is the sum of the first n squares related to the area of a square?

The sum of the first n squares is equal to the area of a square with side length n, when each square within the larger square has a side length of 1. This is because the sum of the first n squares can be visualized as a square made up of smaller unit squares.