Superconductors and induction - what are the posibilities?

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of using superconducting inductors for storing energy and as a means of propulsion for spacecraft. It was mentioned that superconducting inductors are already being used for energy storage on a large scale, and the potential applications of ambient temperature superconductors were also discussed. The conversation also touched on the concept of Meissner effect and how it relates to the repulsion between a magnet and a superconducting coil.
TomVok
Hi all, I have a question which relates to induction and one potentially useful property of superconductors which seems to suggest one intriguing posibility. I won't say what just yet since my science is potentially a bit rusty, so don't want to sound like a fool.

As I understand it, after an electric current stops flowing through an inductor, the magnetic energy around the inductor's coil is absorbed by the coil, creating a spike in electrical energy. But what if the inductor's coil is made of a superconducting material, which if I understand superconductors correctly, is suposed to repel magnetic fields. When the applied current stops flowing, the residual magnetic field around the coil can not be absorbed as electrical energy so my expectation is that there would be a repulsive force between the residual magnetic field and the inductive coil, which may produce a kinetic force. Does anyone know whether this is true or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
TomVok, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Your proposal was thought provoking. After a short Google search I may have learned the answer you seek: Superconducting inductors for temporarily storing energy is already a mature technology with some large-scale systems already attached to power grids to add large amounts of energy rapidly in case of large load fluxuations.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconducting_magnetic_energy_storage

Cheers, Bobbywhy

Thanks for your reply, this is very interesting. I would not have thought of this as a means of storing electricity for any length of time. What I had in mind was slightly different - I was wondering if it might be possible to use this as a means of propulsion for spacecraft . Obviously this would require that the remaining magnetic field (after the electric current has ceast to flow through the coil), would need to be interacting with something in the space surrounding the coil that has mass - in order to be able to push against it to generate thrust. This makes me think of dark matter, although someone would have though of this and ruled it out already I would imagine. This is not really my area of expertise.

The possibilities of superconductors are immense, especially those capable of operating at ambient temperatures. Imagine for one moment what it would mean if the 2 or 3 core cable on your domestic appliances were capable of carrying the electrical load from a 1000kVA generator. What that would mean in practice would be instead of using 30,000cc 7000Kg generator consuming 250 l/h to produce 1000kVA, you could use a 1000cc engine because an alternator made from superconducting "wires" could be made a lot lighter so the prime mover could be a lot smaller and use a lot less fuel. We do have supercooled superconductors but their practical uses are limited, the Japanese however are making fair progress with conductor's capable of 0 degrees C operation.

Superconducting coils try to uphold the field inside them. When a magnet is inserted in the normal conducting state, the set up is cooled down and the coil removed. A current will be induced in the superconducting coil such that the change of the field stays minimal. This resistance free current stays in the coil forever as long as it is cooled enough. Experiments have been done to see whether the resistance is really zero and the current has kept flowing for years without a measurable decrease. When you try to introduce a magnet into a superconducting coil it will produce a counter field due to the Meissner effect/induction. This in turn makes the coil and the magnet repel with some force. The idea that a superconducting coil and its field repel each other is only true insofar as there is a bit of magnetic pressure pushing the coil wire outwards, but this is true for any coil.

1. What is a superconductor?

A superconductor is a material that has the ability to conduct electricity with zero resistance when it is cooled below a certain temperature, called the critical temperature. This phenomenon is known as superconductivity.

2. How do superconductors work?

Superconductors work by allowing electrons to move through the material without any resistance. This is possible because of the formation of Cooper pairs, which are two electrons that are bound together and can move freely without colliding with other particles. This results in zero electrical resistance and the ability to conduct electricity without any loss of energy.

3. What are the potential applications of superconductors?

Superconductors have a wide range of potential applications, including power transmission and storage, high-speed trains, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, and particle accelerators. They also have the potential to revolutionize computer technology by enabling faster and more efficient processing.

4. What is induction and how is it related to superconductors?

Induction is the process of creating an electric current in a conductor by moving a magnet or changing the magnetic field. Superconductors can be used to enhance the effects of induction due to their ability to carry current without any resistance. This makes them useful in applications such as transformers and generators.

5. What are the challenges facing the widespread use of superconductors?

One of the main challenges is the need for extremely low temperatures to maintain superconductivity, which can be expensive and difficult to achieve. Superconductors also tend to be brittle and can be easily damaged, which can limit their use in some applications. Additionally, the cost of producing superconductors is still relatively high, making them less accessible for widespread use.