Supremum and Infimum of Bounded Sets Multiplication

• MHB
  • Thread starter esuahcdss12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supremum
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the supremum and infimum of a given set or function. The question involves proving two statements about bounded sets of non-negative real numbers. The conversation provides an explanation and proof for the first statement, and states that the argument for the second statement is similar.
esuahcdss12
Hey all,
I started to learn this subject, and i understtod how to find the supremum and infimum of a given set or function.
but I have problem with one question which I can not solve, and I don't know how to start.
This is the quesion:

Given to bounded sets X and Y, which their element are REAL and non negative numbers,
so that X*Y = {x*y: x in X, y in Y}
prove that:

a)inf{X*Y} = infX *infY
b)sup{X*Y}= supX * supY

Can anyone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, esuahcdss12! (Wave)

Let's start with question a). Let $a = \inf X$ and $b = \inf Y$. Given $x\in X$ and $y\in Y$, $x \ge a$ and $y\ge b$, so that $xy\ge ab$ (which follows from the fact that $x$ and $y$ are nonnegative). Deduce that $\inf(XY) \ge ab$. To obtain $\inf(XY) \le ab$, note that if $\epsilon > 0$, $a + \epsilon$ is not a lower bound for $X$ and $b + \epsilon$ is not a lower bound for $Y$. So there are $x\in X$ and $y\in Y$ such that $a + \epsilon > x$ and $b + \epsilon > y$. Hence $(a + \epsilon)(b + \epsilon) > xy \ge \inf(XY)$. Since $\epsilon$ was arbitrary chosen, deduce that $ab \ge \inf(XY)$.

The argument for question b) is similar.

1. What is the definition of supremum and infimum?

The supremum of a set is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all elements in the set. The infimum of a set is the largest number that is less than or equal to all elements in the set.

2. How do you prove the supremum and infimum of a set?

To prove the supremum and infimum of a set, you must show that the supremum is the smallest upper bound of the set and the infimum is the largest lower bound of the set. This can be done by using the definition of supremum and infimum and showing that they satisfy the properties.

3. Can a set have multiple supremum and infimum?

No, a set can have only one supremum and one infimum. This is because the supremum and infimum are unique and defined by the properties of the set.

4. How are supremum and infimum related to least upper bound and greatest lower bound?

The supremum of a set is also known as the least upper bound, as it is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all elements in the set. Similarly, the infimum is also known as the greatest lower bound, as it is the largest number that is less than or equal to all elements in the set.

5. Can supremum and infimum exist for infinite sets?

Yes, supremum and infimum can exist for infinite sets as long as the set is bounded. A bounded set is a set that has both an upper bound and a lower bound. In this case, the supremum and infimum are the limits of the set as it approaches these bounds.