Surface Area Formula for \(z = x^2 + y^2\) Derivation

In summary, the surface area for an equation in the form of \(z = f(x, y)\) can be derived by parametrizing the surface and using the differential normal vector length to compute the double integral. This can be simplified to \(\iint\limits_{R} \sqrt{ 1 + f_x^2 + f_y^2 } \, dA\) in the projected region, and for the specific function \(z = x^2 + y^2\), it can be further simplified to \(\int_0^{2\pi} \hspace{-5pt} \int_0^{r_0} r \sqrt{1+4r^2} \, dr \,
Dustinsfl
I would like to derive the surface area for an equation in the form of \(z = f(x, y)\).

For example, if I have a sphere \((b^2 = x^2 + y^2)\), the surface area is circumference times arc length \((SA = 2\pi r\ell)\). Here I can take an arc and break it up into n parts to find the differential arc length. That is, \(d = \sqrt{(x_i - x_{i+1})^2 + (f(x_i) - f(x_{i+1}))^2}\). Then by the mean value theorem, \(\Delta x f'(x) = f(x_i) - f(x_{i+1})\).
\[
\ell = \lim_{n\to\infty}\sum_{i = 1}^n\Delta x_i\sqrt{1 +(f'(x_i))^2} = \int_a^b\sqrt{1 +(f'(x))^2}dx
\]
Then since \(\Delta x\ll 1\), we can write
\[
r = \frac{1}{2}(f(x_i) + f(x_{i+1})) = f(x)
\]
since \(f(x_i)\approx f(x)\approx f(x_{i+1})\).
Therefore,
\[
SA = 4\pi\int_0^bf(x)\sqrt{1 +(f'(x_i))^2}dx = 4\pi\int_0^{\pi/2}b^2\cos(\theta)d\theta
\]
where the radius is \(b\) so I took 2 times half the integral and I made the substitution \(x = b\sin(\theta)\). I am not going to solve the integral for the surface area of sphere since this isn't the point of this question.

How can I derive the SA formula for a function of the form \(z = x^2 + y^2\)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The surface area is $$\iint\limits_{\Sigma} \, dS$$ where $dS$ is the differential normal vector length. Parametrizing the surface by $\mathbf{r}(x,y) = (x,y,f(x,y))$ gives you the normal vector $$\frac{\partial \mathbf{r}}{\partial x} \times \frac{\partial \mathbf{r}}{\partial y} = \left( - \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}, - \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}, 1 \right),$$ therefore the surface area can be computed using the double integral $$\iint\limits_{\Sigma} \, dS = \iint\limits_{R} \sqrt{ 1 + f_x^2 + f_y^2 } \, dA ,$$ where $R$ is the projected region. In your case $$SA = \iint\limits_{R} \sqrt{ 1 + f_x^2 + f_y^2 } \, dA = \iint\limits_{R} \sqrt{1+4(x^2+y^2)} \, dA = \int_0^{2\pi} \hspace{-5pt} \int_0^{r_0} r \sqrt{1+4r^2} \, dr \, d \theta$$ using polar coordinates.

Fantini said:
The surface area is $$\iint\limits_{\Sigma} \, dS$$ where $dS$ is the differential normal vector length.

Instead of starting with it is the double integral of ds, I would like to derive it.

1. What is the surface area formula for z = x^2 + y^2?

The surface area formula for z = x^2 + y^2 is 4πr^2, where r is the radius of the circle formed by the equation.

2. How is the surface area formula derived for z = x^2 + y^2?

The surface area formula is derived by taking the partial derivatives of the equation with respect to x and y, and then using the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the tangent line at each point. The length of the tangent line is then multiplied by the circumference of a circle with radius r, which is 2πr. This gives us the surface area formula of 4πr^2.

3. Can the surface area formula for z = x^2 + y^2 be used for any shape?

No, the surface area formula is specifically for a 3-dimensional shape formed by the equation z = x^2 + y^2. It represents a circular paraboloid shape.

4. How is the surface area formula for z = x^2 + y^2 different from other surface area formulas?

The surface area formula for z = x^2 + y^2 is specific to a circular paraboloid shape, whereas other surface area formulas may be for different shapes such as spheres, cubes, or cylinders. Additionally, the derivation process for this formula involves taking partial derivatives and using the Pythagorean theorem, whereas other formulas may use different mathematical techniques.

5. Are there any practical applications of the surface area formula for z = x^2 + y^2?

Yes, the surface area formula for z = x^2 + y^2 has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It can be used to calculate the surface area of objects with a circular paraboloid shape, such as satellite dishes, water tanks, and reflectors for telescopes.