Surface area of a cylinder- finding unknown variable

In summary, the radius of a soup can with a height of six inches and a radius of two inches is two inches.
opus
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The surface area, A, of a cylinder with height, h, and radius, r, is given by the equation ##A=2πrh+2πr^2##.
A company makes soup cans by using 32π square inches of aluminum sheet for each can. If the height of the can is 6 inches, find the radius of the can.

Homework Equations

##A=2πrh+2πr^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

##A=32πin^2##
##h= 6in##
I start by recognizing that I need to find the value of r in the given equation.
Next, I plug the known values into the equation, which gives me ##32π in^2=2πr\left(6in\right)+2πr^2##
I don't know how to go about isolating r, considering there is an r and an ##r^2## term.
In my attempt, I came up with ##\left( \frac {32πin^2} {2π6} \right) = r + 2πr^2## and it seems to not be the right idea, because I feel like next I would want to divide the RHS by 2π, leaving me with a complex fraction on the left, and an ##r+r^2## on the right.
Any tips to get me going in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
opus said:

Homework Statement

The surface area, A, of a cylinder with height, h, and radius, r, is given by the equation ##A=2πrh+2πr^2##.
A company makes soup cans by using 32π square inches of aluminum sheet for each can. If the height of the can is 6 inches, find the radius of the can.

Homework Equations

##A=2πrh+2πr^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

##A=32πin^2##
##h= 6in##
I start by recognizing that I need to find the value of r in the given equation.
Next, I plug the known values into the equation, which gives me ##32π in^2=2πr\left(6in\right)+2πr^2##
I don't know how to go about isolating r, considering there is an r and an ##r^2## term.
In my attempt, I came up with ##\left( \frac {32πin^2} {2π6} \right) = r + 2πr^2## and it seems to not be the right idea, because I feel like next I would want to divide the RHS by 2π, leaving me with a complex fraction on the left, and an ##r+r^2## on the right.
Any tips to get me going in the right direction?
What do you get, if you divide your equation by ##2\pi## and write it as ##0=r^2 + \ldots \,##?
If you still have no idea then, write it with ##x=r## with ##x## instead of ##r##.

Likes opus
Wunderbar! Kind of a tricky one.
##r^2+6r-\left(\frac {32πin^2} {2π} \right) = 0##
Which gives me
r=-8 in or r=2 in
Since r cannot be negative, it is 2 inches.

Thank you fresh_42

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42

1. How do you find the surface area of a cylinder if the height is unknown?

To find the surface area of a cylinder if the height is unknown, you will need to know the radius of the cylinder and the total surface area. You can use the formula for surface area of a cylinder, A = 2πrh + 2πr², and solve for the height by substituting the given values.

2. Can you find the surface area of a cylinder if the radius is unknown?

Yes, you can find the surface area of a cylinder if the radius is unknown. You will need to know the height and the total surface area. Using the formula A = 2πrh + 2πr², you can solve for the radius by substituting the given values.

3. What units are used for measuring surface area of a cylinder?

The units used for measuring surface area of a cylinder are typically square units, such as square inches, square feet, or square meters. This is because surface area is measured in two dimensions, length and width, which when multiplied together give the unit of square units.

4. How does the surface area of a cylinder change if the height is doubled?

If the height of a cylinder is doubled, the surface area will also double. This is because the formula for surface area of a cylinder, A = 2πrh + 2πr², includes the height in the calculation. Doubling the height will result in doubling the first term, 2πrh, while the second term, 2πr², will remain the same. This means that the overall surface area will increase by 2πrh, which is equal to doubling the original surface area.

5. Can you find the surface area of a cylinder if only the lateral surface area is given?

Yes, you can find the surface area of a cylinder if only the lateral surface area is given. The lateral surface area of a cylinder is the curved surface area, or the area of the side of the cylinder, and it is found using the formula A = 2πrh. By rearranging this formula to solve for the radius, r = A/2πh, you can substitute the given lateral surface area and height to find the radius. Once you have the radius, you can use the formula for total surface area of a cylinder, A = 2πrh + 2πr², to find the total surface area.