Surface of revolution of a donuts

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the surface of revolution for a circle that does not touch the axes when rotated around the vertical axis. The formula for this is 2*pi*(Integral from a to b (f(x)*sqrt(1+(f'(x))^2)). The question is asking for the boundaries of the integral and how to calculate the result of 32pi^2. The surface in question is the area of the surface of revolution.
lila12345
HELP I can't find the surface of revolution! By donuts I mean a circle that doesn't touch the axes (tore in french)

y^2+(x-4)^2=2^2 is my function ( y^2+x^2=r^2) and the axe of rotation is y

so y= sqrt(r^2-x^2)
the formula I know :
2* pi (Integral from a to b (F(x)*sqrt( 1+ (f``(x))^2))

• 1) what are the bornes of the integral and how did you find them
  • 2)where do you go from there to have the result of 32pi^2

Physics news on Phys.org
It is necessary to state what you are trying to find. People can guess, of course, but it would be better for you to tell us. The phrase "surface of revolution" refers to a subset of 3-dimensional space R3.

But maybe you are trying to determine the area of that surface?

Also, when using notation like f(x) and F(x) it is important to say what these functions are supposed to represent, and what their domain is.

yes the area of that surface! hahah sorry I though it was the right way to say it in English sorry..!

and there is no further info in the problem the question is:
calculate the area of the surface if you rotate a circle y^2+(x-4)^2=2^2 around the vertical axe (x=0)

and again sorry I meant f(x) and f ' (x)!

2* pi (Integral from a to b (f(x)*sqrt( 1+ (f `(x))^2))

1. What is a surface of revolution of a donut?

A surface of revolution of a donut, also known as a torus, is a three-dimensional curved shape created by rotating a circle about an axis in space. It resembles a donut or a tire with a hole in the middle.

2. How is a surface of revolution of a donut different from a regular donut?

A regular donut is a two-dimensional shape, while a surface of revolution of a donut is a three-dimensional shape. The surface of revolution is created by rotating a circle, while a regular donut is made by shaping dough into a ring.

3. What are some real-life examples of a surface of revolution of a donut?

Some real-life examples of a surface of revolution of a donut include car tires, lifebuoys, and bagels. It can also be seen in the shape of some planets, such as Saturn.

4. How is the surface area of a surface of revolution of a donut calculated?

The surface area of a surface of revolution of a donut can be calculated using the formula 4π²r², where r is the radius of the circle used to create the shape. This formula takes into account both the inner and outer surfaces of the torus.

5. What is the significance of studying the surface of revolution of a donut?

Studying the surface of revolution of a donut is important in mathematics and geometry as it helps us understand more complex shapes and their properties. It also has applications in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and computer graphics.