Surface temperature-laser radiation

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for governing equations that can calculate the surface temperature of a material after laser radiation. The necessary parameters for this calculation include thermal conductivity, thermal capacity, reflectivity, and emissivity, with thermal conductivity and emissivity having a strong dependence on temperature. The suggestion is to search on CNC machining forums for information on laser irradiation response of specific materials.
Behrouz
Hello,
I'm looking for the governing equations for the laser radiation on a surface. I understand there are several types and methods. I was wondering if there is an equation to show all the parameters in calculating a surface temperature after laser radiation for a specific time. Some of the parameters I can imagine are the thermophysical properties of the irradiated body and then the laser characteristics (e.g. frequency, energy).
Any advice would be appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
Behrouz said:
Summary:: Looking for a formula to calculate the surface temperature after laser radiation

Hello,
I'm looking for the governing equations for the laser radiation on a surface. I understand there are several types and methods. I was wondering if there is an equation to show all the parameters in calculating a surface temperature after laser radiation for a specific time. Some of the parameters I can imagine are the thermophysical properties of the irradiated body and then the laser characteristics (e.g. frequency, energy).
Any advice would be appreciated.
In general, necessary parameters of irradiated substrate are:
Thermal conductivity, thermal capacity, reflectivity and emissivity.
Because thermal conductivity and emissivity parameters have strong dependence on temperature, analytical solutions are unknown. You can search on CNC machining forums for laser irradiation response of specific materials - laser cutters are recently quite popular in DIY.

Likes Behrouz

1. What is surface temperature-laser radiation?

Surface temperature-laser radiation is the measurement of the amount of heat energy emitted from a surface due to the absorption of laser radiation.

2. How is surface temperature-laser radiation measured?

Surface temperature-laser radiation is typically measured using infrared thermometers or thermal imaging cameras, which detect the amount of thermal energy emitted from a surface.

3. What factors affect surface temperature-laser radiation?

The amount of laser radiation absorbed by a surface is affected by factors such as the type and intensity of the laser, the material of the surface, and the surface's reflectivity and emissivity.

4. Why is surface temperature-laser radiation important in scientific research?

Surface temperature-laser radiation is important in scientific research because it can provide valuable information about the physical properties of materials and their response to laser radiation. It is also used in various industries, such as manufacturing and healthcare, for quality control and medical diagnostics.

5. How can surface temperature-laser radiation be controlled or manipulated?

Surface temperature-laser radiation can be controlled or manipulated by adjusting the intensity and wavelength of the laser, changing the material of the surface, or using coatings to alter the surface's reflectivity and emissivity. Additionally, the use of cooling systems can help regulate the temperature of the surface during laser irradiation.