Surface Tension and Fluids

In summary: This means that their volume will not significantly change even with an increase in surface tension due to stronger intermolecular bonds. The molecules at the surface are pulled into the center of mass, causing a decrease in surface area but not a change in volume. This is because liquids, such as water, have a constant density and are not easily compressed. This concept is commonly taught in general chemistry courses.
Joseph Phan
If you increase surface tension, the molecules at the surface are more strongly pulled into the center of mass due to the stronger attractive molecular forces.
-Why is it that when surface tension increases in a liquid, its surface decreases in area, but its volume does NOT change? (Volume remains constant)
-I thought that when when stronger intermolecular bonds were present, the volume would decrease (what I was taught from my general chemistry courses )

Physics news on Phys.org
Joseph Phan said:
If you increase surface tension, the molecules at the surface are more strongly pulled into the center of mass due to the stronger attractive molecular forces.
-Why is it that when surface tension increases in a liquid, its surface decreases in area, but its volume does NOT change? (Volume remains constant)
-I thought that when when stronger intermolecular bonds were present, the volume would decrease (what I was taught from my general chemistry courses )

I think you mean incompressible liquids. For example water. It is very hard to change the density of liquid water.

anorlunda said:
I think you mean incompressible liquids. For example water. It is very hard to change the density of liquid water.

Liquids, by typical definition, are very nearly incompressible (though certainly not actually incompressible).

What is surface tension?

Surface tension is the measure of the force that holds together the molecules on the surface of a liquid. It is caused by the cohesive forces between the molecules, which are stronger on the surface due to the absence of neighboring molecules above.

How is surface tension measured?

Surface tension is typically measured in units of force per unit length, such as newtons per meter (N/m). It can be measured experimentally using a variety of techniques, such as the drop weight method or the Wilhelmy plate method.

What factors affect surface tension?

The surface tension of a liquid is affected by several factors, including the type of liquid, temperature, and the presence of impurities. Generally, surface tension decreases with increasing temperature and increases with the presence of impurities.

What is the significance of surface tension?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in many natural and industrial processes, such as capillary action, the formation of bubbles and droplets, and the strength of materials. It also helps insects and some animals, such as water striders, to walk on water.

How does surface tension relate to fluids?

Surface tension is a property of all fluids, including liquids and gases. It is caused by the cohesive forces between the molecules of the fluid, which are stronger on the surface. Surface tension also affects the behavior and properties of fluids, such as their ability to flow, spread, and form droplets.