SWL to secure engine onto a flatbed trailer

In summary, the load of 7826 kgs needs to be secured to a wooden flat bed trailer using 4 chain blocks with a safe working load (SWL) of 3.2 tonne at each corner. The manufacturer requires the securing arrangement to withstand a force of 1.8G and the trailer will not exceed 30 km/h around bends. However, to account for a safety factor of 2, it is recommended to use 8 chains with a 3.2 tonne tension, with the chains at an angle between 35° and 80°. Alternatively, using 4 chains with a SWL of 6.5 tonnes would also be a safe option.
porkypete51
Hi I'm need to check if the securing arrangements for a load are adequate...

Weight of engine and steel transport stand - 7826 kgs

secured to a wooden flat bed trailer by 4, 3.2 tonne SWL chain blocks (1 at each corner)

maunfacturer states that the securing arrangement must withstand a force of 1.8G

is a SWL of 3.2 tonne sufficient for each of the chain blocks? trailer would be traveling no more than 30 km/h around bends

many thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Although I'm not an expert on the subject, assuming a friction coefficient of 0.4 (wood on steel) and that the chains are solidly attached to the load (such that they can take horizontal load as well), if you want to respect the 1.8 G limit (which you should, as your trailer can experience at least 0.75 G, up to 0.9 G, so that's a safety factor of 2), you would need 8 chains with a 3.2 tonne tension (2 on each sides, preferably). The angle of the chains with respect to the horizontal being between 35° and 80°.

Thanks, Jack

I thought the safe working load was a bit too low,

I'll just recommend to double it with 4 chains to a SWL of 6.5 tonnes

1. How do I properly secure an engine onto a flatbed trailer for transportation?

The best way to secure an engine onto a flatbed trailer is by using straps and chains to secure it in place. Make sure the engine is positioned securely in the center of the trailer and use at least 4 straps and chains to secure it from all sides. Additionally, use blocks or wheel chocks to prevent the engine from shifting during transportation.

2. What is the recommended weight limit for an engine on a flatbed trailer?

The weight limit for an engine on a flatbed trailer will vary depending on the size and capacity of the trailer. However, as a general rule, it is recommended to not exceed 10,000 lbs for a standard flatbed trailer. It is important to always check the weight capacity of your specific trailer before loading an engine onto it.

3. Can I transport an engine on a flatbed trailer without using straps or chains?

No, it is not recommended to transport an engine on a flatbed trailer without using straps or chains to secure it in place. This can be extremely dangerous and may result in the engine shifting or falling off the trailer during transportation.

4. How should I position the engine on the flatbed trailer?

The engine should be positioned securely in the center of the flatbed trailer. This will help distribute the weight evenly and prevent the trailer from becoming top-heavy. It is also important to make sure the engine is level and not tilted to one side.

5. Are there any special precautions I should take when transporting an engine on a flatbed trailer?

Yes, there are a few special precautions to keep in mind when transporting an engine on a flatbed trailer. Make sure the engine is properly drained of all fluids and any loose parts are secured or removed. It is also important to drive cautiously and avoid sudden stops or sharp turns while transporting the engine.