Systematic treatment of equilibrium

In summary, to determine the concentrations of [Zn2+], [CN-], and [HCN] in a saturated solution of Zn(CN)2 with a fixed pH of 1.060, the equations Ka = [H+][CN-]/[HCN], Ksp = [Zn2+][CN-]^2, and mass balance [HCN] = 2[Zn2+] can be used. By substituting the known values and solving for [CN-], the concentrations can be found. It is important to note that the Ka value should be calculated using [H+] instead of [OH-].
reminiscent

Homework Statement

Determine [Zn2+], [CN–], and [HCN] in a saturated solution of Zn(CN)2 with a fixed pH of 1.060. The Ksp for Zn(CN)2 is 3.0 × 10–16. The Ka for HCN is 6.2 × 10–10.

Homework Equations

cKfuc5A.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have a phone or camera right now to take a picture of my work, but here's my steps summarized:
1. I found that the [H+]= 0.0871 M.
2. I used that and the Kw equation to find [OH-] = 1.15 x 10^-13 M.
3. I used the mass balance equation to find a new equation for [HCN].
4. I plugged that into the Kb equation, along with the [OH-] in order to find [CN-].
5. I found [CN-] = 4.31 x 10^-24, then plugged that into the Ksp equation to find [Zn2+] = 1.61 x 10^31 and [HCN] = 3.22 x 10^31. The system said my answers were incorrect.
I tried another way using the ICE method and not using systematic treatment of equilibrium, and I found [Zn2+] = 0.2455 M, [CN-] = 0.491 M, and [HCN] = 68.98 x 10^6 M, but the system still said it was wrong.

Please help. ):

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you use Kb and [OH-] instead of just converting Kb to Ka?

reminiscent said:
3. I used the mass balance equation to find a new equation for [HCN].

How?

reminiscent said:
The system said my answers were correct.

Or incorrect?

In general once you convert Kb to Ka you will end with three equations in three unknowns.

Borek said:
Why do you use Kb and [OH-] instead of just converting Kb to Ka?
How?
Or incorrect?

In general once you convert Kb to Ka you will end with three equations in three unknowns.
Sorry, I will edit my post for certain mistakes...
They gave us the Ka for HCN is 6.2 × 10–10.
They converted it to Kb. I don't understand what you mean, though.
For the mass balance equation, I just did: [HCN] = 2[Zn2+] - [CN-].
I'm so stuck, I don't understand how to correctly find it.

If you are given Ka and pH, there is no need to go through the reaction between CN- and water,

HCN ↔ H+ +CN-

is perfectly enough to describe the HCN/CN- equilibrium.

Write Ka - this will be your first equation (with two unknowns, as pH is fixed).

Second equation is the mass balance (but it can be simplified - see below).

Third equation is Ksp.

That gives three equations in three unknowns, the rest is just a math. HCN is a very weak acid and it is protonated almost quantitatively at so low pH (so [HCN] >> [CN-] and the latter can be ignored in the mass balance).

Borek said:
If you are given Ka and pH, there is no need to go through the reaction between CN- and water,

HCN ↔ H+ +CN-

Write Ka - this will be your first equation (with two unknowns, as pH is fixed).

Third equation is Ksp.

That gives three equations in three unknowns, the rest is just a math. HCN is a very weak acid and it is protonated almost quantitatively at so low pH (so [HCN] >> [CN-] and the latter can be ignored in the mass balance).

Okay, I understand - so the equations are:
[HCN] = 2[Zn2+]
Ka = [OH-][HCN]/[CN-] = 6.2 x 10^-10
Ksp = [Zn2+][CN-]^2 = 3.0 x 10^-16

Which one should I solve for first? I think the part of solving is what confuses me.

Borek said:

HCN ↔ H+ +CN-

Third equation is Ksp.

Okay so far, I made the mass balance equation and Ksp equation equal to each other by isolating [Zn2+], and I solved for [HCN]. Can I just plug that back into the Ka equation, then solve for [CN-] this way? Also, [OH-] would be 1.15 x 10^-13 M, correct?

Borek said:

HCN ↔ H+ +CN-

Third equation is Ksp.

I got [CN-] = 4.81 x 10-7, [Zn2+] = 0.00130, and [HCN] = 0.00259 and it is still incorrect...

I can confirm it is incorrect - but there is not much I can do not seeing what and how you did.

I worked this one and it is interesting. I think I got the correct answer. It uses 3 equations and 3 unknowns. Algebraically it is actually kind of simple. In post #5 your ## K_a ## is incorrect and ## [H+] ## belongs in the equation instead of ## [OH-] ##. Since you know the pH, you know the numerical value of ## [H+] ##. The algebra is simple enough that you can use your complete mass balance of equation of post #3. You can eliminate the ## [HCN] ## from the 3 equations using the mass balance equation, and eliminate the ## [Zn+2] ## as well and solve for ## [CN-] ##.

Charles Link said:
I worked this one and it is interesting. I think I got the correct answer. It uses 3 equations and 3 unknowns. Algebraically it is actually kind of simple. In post #5 your ## K_a ## is incorrect and ## [H+] ## belongs in the equation instead of ## [OH-] ##. Since you know the pH, you know the numerical value of ## [H+] ##. The algebra is simple enough that you can use your complete mass balance of equation of post #3. You can eliminate the ## [HCN] ## from the 3 equations using the mass balance equation, and eliminate the ## [Zn+2] ## as well and solve for ## [CN-] ##.
I think I forgot my algebra skills because I got it wrong again...
Okay I tried what you did. I used the mass balance equation of post 3, plugged that into the Ka equation for [HCN], then I simplified more so I get Ka = 0.0871*2*([Zn2+]/[CN-]). I made the Ksp equation equal to [Zn2+], I plugged that into the Ka equation for [Zn2+]. The [CN-] would have a power of 3 to it, and I got [CN-]=0.00438. It is still wrong.

Your ## K_a ## equation is incorrect. Your mass balance is ## [CN-]=2[Zn+2]-[HCN] ## and the shortcut version is ## [HCN]=2 [Zn+2] ##. In any case ## [CN-] ## should be in the numerator and doesn't get replaced. You could put either ## [HCN]=(2[Zn+2]) ## or ## [HCN]=(2[Zn+2]-[CN-]) ## in the denominator. (## [CN-] ## is very small, but you really don't need any shortcuts for the algebra.) Y(our number .0871 for the ## [H+] ## for the pH =1.06 looks correct.) Your ## K_a ## equation is also incorrect in post # 5. It is actually a simple equation and should read ## K_a= ([H+][CN-])/[HCN] ##. That appears where your error originated...

Last edited:
I added a couple of things to post #11. Please be sure to read the latest edited version.

Charles Link said:
I added a couple of things to post #11. Please be sure to read the latest edited version.
Thank you so much! I can't believe I didn't catch that. I finally got it correct. Thank you!

Likes Charles Link
reminiscent said:
Thank you so much! I can't believe I didn't catch that. I finally got it correct. Thank you!

In the future please show your work - it is much easier to find a mistake seeing what was done, than guessing out of rather cryptic description.

Plus, when you try to put your work in a readable format you are quite likely to find mistakes by yourself.

What is the definition of equilibrium in a system?

Equilibrium in a system refers to a state where the system is balanced and there is no net change in any of its properties or components over time. This means that the system is in a stable state and all forces or processes acting on it are equal.

What is the role of equilibrium in a scientific experiment?

The concept of equilibrium is crucial in scientific experiments as it allows researchers to understand and predict the behavior of a system. By studying the conditions under which equilibrium is reached, scientists can manipulate the variables in a system to achieve a desired outcome.

What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium refers to a state where the system is at rest and there is no movement or change occurring. On the other hand, dynamic equilibrium occurs when the system is constantly changing, but the net change is zero. This means that the system is still in balance, but there are processes or reactions happening within it.

How is equilibrium affected by changes in external conditions?

External conditions such as temperature, pressure, and concentration can affect the equilibrium of a system. A change in these conditions can shift the balance, causing the system to move towards a new equilibrium state. This is known as Le Chatelier's principle, which states that a system will respond to changes in order to maintain equilibrium.

What are some real-life examples of equilibrium in action?

Equilibrium can be observed in various natural and man-made systems. Some examples include chemical reactions, water boiling at a specific temperature, a person maintaining their body temperature, and the earth's climate system. Understanding equilibrium is essential in fields such as chemistry, biology, and engineering.