Taylor/Maclaurin series for piecewise defined function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a unique Maclaurin series expansion for a function that is defined piecewise and ensuring that it converges to the function in all regions. The problem is that for a function with different parameters, the power series will not converge to the function in both regions. This is due to the uniqueness of the power series that converges to a specific exponential function over any finite interval.
cg78ithaca
Consider the function:
$$F(s) =\begin{cases} A \exp(-as) &\text{ if }0\le s\le s_c \text{ and}\\
B \exp(-bs) &\text{ if } s>s_c
\end{cases}$$
The parameter s_c is chosen such that the function is continuous on [0,Inf).
I'm trying to come up with a (unique, not piecewise) Maclaurin series expansion for it:
$$
F(s)=F\left(0\right)+\sum_{n=1,2..}\frac{F^n(0)}{n!}s^n=A+\sum_{n=1,2..}\frac{F^n(0)}{n!}s^n
$$
And since for 0 < s < s_c:
$$
F^n(s)=A\frac{d^n}{ds^n}\exp{\left(-as\right)}=-aA\frac{d^{n-1}}{ds^{n-1}}\exp{\left(-as\right)}=…={\left(-a\right)}^nA\exp{\left(-as\right)}
$$
so
$$
F^n\left(0\right)={\left(-a\right)}^nA
$$
it follows:
$$
F\left(s\right)=A\left(1+\sum_{n=1,2..}\frac{{\left(-a\right)}^n}{n!}s^n\right)
$$
which is clearly the expansion of A exp(-as), not of F(s) -- I never used the
second part of the definition involving B exp(-bs).

Can anyone explain what the problem is here? I suspect it has to do with evaluating high-order derivatives in a neighborhood of s = +0, which should be influenced by the shape of F(s) for s>s_c as the derivation order increases, but not sure how to handle that mathematically.

Physics news on Phys.org
The expansion around s=0 depends on the function around s=0 only. You cannot expect it to describe your function everywhere - even without piecewise definitions it does not have to converge to the function everywhere.

If ##a \neq b##, your function does not even have a first derivative at sc.

Thanks Mfb. Indeed I am aware of the existence of non-analytic functions, and regarding your point that F(s) is not differentiable at s_c, it is well-taken, but I am doing the expansion around s = 0 where it is infinitely differentiable. Regarding your other point which touches on the topic of radius of convergence, I guess I'm generally interested to know if F(s) for a<>b can be expressed as a power series as described above (existence) and if so, how I would go about determining the expansion coefficients in this case.

The power series won't converge to your function in both regions, no matter where you make the expansion. It will converge to it in the region where you make it, but not in the other.

Thanks Mfb. How do you prove that statement, namely that a power series that converges to F(s) for the whole s > 0 does not in fact exist?

The power series that converges to one exponential function over any finite interval is unique. It has to converge to that exponential function outside as well. It cannot converge to other things.

Thanks Mfb. That makes sense.

1. What is a Taylor/Maclaurin series for a piecewise defined function?

A Taylor/Maclaurin series is a mathematical representation of a function using an infinite sum of terms. For a piecewise defined function, the series is calculated separately for each piece of the function and then combined to represent the entire function.

2. How do you determine the Taylor/Maclaurin series for a piecewise defined function?

To determine the series, you must first find the derivatives of each piece of the function at a given point. Then, you can use the Taylor/Maclaurin series formula to calculate the coefficients for each term in the series. Finally, these coefficients are combined to create the series for the entire function.

3. Can a Taylor/Maclaurin series for a piecewise defined function converge to different values?

Yes, it is possible for the series to converge to different values depending on the point at which it is being evaluated. This is because the series may have different convergence properties for each piece of the function.

4. What is the benefit of using a Taylor/Maclaurin series for a piecewise defined function?

The benefit of using a series is that it allows for a more accurate representation of a function, especially for functions that are difficult to evaluate using traditional methods. It can also be used to approximate the value of a function at a certain point.

5. Is it possible for a Taylor/Maclaurin series for a piecewise defined function to be infinite?

Yes, it is possible for the series to be infinite if the function has an infinite number of pieces or if the function has infinitely many derivatives at a given point. In this case, the series would be an infinite sum of terms.