How to Derive the Taylor Series for log(x)?

In summary, you were trying to solve the following problem yourself but couldn't figure out how the given Taylor series for log(x) is found.
PainterGuy
Hi,

I was trying to solve the following problem myself but couldn't figure out how the given Taylor series for log(x) is found.

?hash=bd0a599335ca11df42aea03e1955cda2.jpg

Taylor series for a function f(x) is given as follows.

?hash=bd0a599335ca11df42aea03e1955cda2.jpg

Question 1:
I was trying to find the derivative of log(x).
?hash=fec28be32c6920fd38d0c29f7bb45c83.jpg

My calculator gives it as d{log(x)}/dx=1/In(x)*x.

How do I convert log(e)/x to 1/In(x)*x? Logarithm base change formula isn't working for me. Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• taylor_logx.jpg
    taylor_logx.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 2,309
  • taylor_fx.jpg
    taylor_fx.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 619
  • derivative_log.jpg
    derivative_log.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 632
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The log function in the example is the natural log, so log(e) = 1.

Likes PainterGuy
Thank you!

Question 1:
vela said:
The log function in the example is the natural log, so log(e) = 1.

I believe that you are referring to Example 6 shown below.

taylor_logx-jpg.jpg

You can see that the Taylor series in Example 6 doesn't have "x" and "x²" in denominator for the first two terms. But the Taylor series found by me has "x" and "x²" in denominator as shown below. Where am I going wrong?

?hash=9dbb0151b0b8b6721b0e6e6da4430946.jpg
Question 2:

?hash=9dbb0151b0b8b6721b0e6e6da4430946.jpg

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• taylor_logx1.jpg
    taylor_logx1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,151
  • derivative_log1.jpg
    derivative_log1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 589
PainterGuy said:
Thank you!

Question 1:I believe that you are referring to Example 6 shown below.

View attachment 245372

You can see that the Taylor series in Example 6 doesn't have "x" and "x²" in denominator for the first two terms. But the Taylor series found by me has "x" and "x²" in denominator as shown below. Where am I going wrong?

View attachment 245373

I think you've calculated f'(x) = 1/x and f''(x) = -1/x^2, but forgot that these derivatives are evaluated at x = a, and should therefore be 1/a = 1 and -1/a^2 = -1.

Likes PainterGuy
On your calculator, "log" means ##\log_{10}## whereas in the example "log" means ##\log_e## or what on your calculator is called ##\ln##. It's pretty common in mathematics to dispense with the ##\ln## notation and use ##\log## to refer to the natural logarithm.

Likes PainterGuy
Thanks a lot!

I understand it now.

The following is a related example with a=2.

?hash=606c3838b1a7170a296b83086b9a1955.jpg

Also:

?hash=606c3838b1a7170a296b83086b9a1955.jpg

Attachments

• related_example.jpg
    related_example.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 505
  • LOG_TAYLOR.jpg
    LOG_TAYLOR.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 498

1. What is a Taylor series for log(x)?

A Taylor series for log(x) is a mathematical representation of the natural logarithm function using a finite sum of terms. It is used to approximate the value of log(x) for any given input value of x.

2. How is a Taylor series for log(x) calculated?

A Taylor series for log(x) is calculated using the formula: log(x) = (x-1) - (x-1)^2/2 + (x-1)^3/3 - (x-1)^4/4 + ... + (-1)^(n+1) * (x-1)^n/n, where n is the number of terms used in the approximation.

3. What is the purpose of using a Taylor series for log(x)?

The purpose of using a Taylor series for log(x) is to approximate the value of log(x) for any given input value of x, especially when the input value is not a whole number or is a very large or small number. It is also used in calculus to simplify complex functions and make them easier to work with.

4. What is the difference between a Taylor series for log(x) and a Maclaurin series for log(x)?

A Taylor series for log(x) is centered around any given value of x, while a Maclaurin series for log(x) is centered around x = 0. This means that a Maclaurin series for log(x) is a special case of a Taylor series for log(x) where the input value of x is 0.

5. How accurate is a Taylor series for log(x)?

The accuracy of a Taylor series for log(x) depends on the number of terms used in the approximation. The more terms that are used, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, as the number of terms increases, the complexity of the calculation also increases.