Temperature variation within thermocouple in Seebeck mode

In summary, the speaker posted a thread asking for advice on creating a Finite Element model of a radioisotope thermoelectric generator. They have finished the model using conduction and radiation, but are wondering if it's worth it to incorporate thermoelectric effects, even though it will complicate the model. They have consulted with the owner of the website, John Shanahan, for further information.
elt93
Hi guys,
I posted a thread a while ago asking for advices to create a Finite Element model of a radioisotope thermoelectric generator. I've basically finished this model mainly using conduction and radiation at the boundaries. I am wondering something though: currently my heat gradient is very low between the hot and cold junction ~5 K. Would it be worth coupling the temperatures inside the thermoelectric device with the thermoelectric effects knowing that it will complicate a lot the model or will the effects be really small and not worth it ?
Thank you for your help!

elt93 said:
Hi guys,
I posted a thread a while ago asking for advices to create a Finite Element model of a radioisotope thermoelectric generator. I've basically finished this model mainly using conduction and radiation at the boundaries. I am wondering something though: currently my heat gradient is very low between the hot and cold junction ~5 K. Would it be worth coupling the temperatures inside the thermoelectric device with the thermoelectric effects knowing that it will complicate a lot the model or will the effects be really small and not worth it ?
Thank you for your help!

I have notified the owner of www.pyrosales.com.au about your question and hopefully I will be able to provide you with some important info/feedback.The owner is John Shanahan.

Hopefully this is OK with the website and Greg.

What is a thermocouple?

A thermocouple is a type of temperature sensor that consists of two different metal wires connected at two points. When there is a temperature difference between the two points, it generates a voltage that can be measured and used to determine the temperature.

How does a thermocouple work in Seebeck mode?

In Seebeck mode, a thermocouple works by utilizing the Seebeck effect, which is the phenomenon where a voltage is produced when there is a temperature difference between two points on a conductor. This voltage is then measured and used to determine the temperature difference.

What causes temperature variation within a thermocouple in Seebeck mode?

Temperature variation within a thermocouple in Seebeck mode can be caused by factors such as thermal gradients, electrical interference, and external heat sources. These factors can affect the accuracy of the temperature measurement and should be minimized for more precise readings.

How can temperature variation within a thermocouple be minimized?

To minimize temperature variation within a thermocouple, it is important to use high-quality materials with consistent temperature coefficients, minimize temperature gradients along the length of the thermocouple, shield the thermocouple from electrical interference, and avoid external heat sources. Regular calibration and maintenance can also help to reduce variation.

What are some applications of a thermocouple in Seebeck mode?

Thermocouples in Seebeck mode are commonly used in various industries for temperature measurement, such as in furnaces, power plants, and automotive engines. They are also used in scientific research and experiments, as well as in household appliances like ovens and refrigerators.