Terms and Rules of Physics Forums - the lack of some rules

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter frostysh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the rules and restrictions against xenophobic, racist, and sexist content on forums. The definition of these terms was mentioned, as well as the need for formalized rules to prevent such behavior. The speaker also mentioned their surprise that a scientific community like PhysicsForums does not have more explicit rules against these types of content. However, the other person in the conversation stated that they do not see the need for more specific rules and that the moderators and mentors at PhysicsForums will not tolerate any xenophobic behavior.
frostysh
I have briefly read the "Term and Rules" section, and I have found no any restrictions against xenophobic etc stuff, I mean I have found such rules on the many other forums, even a gaming-related ones, such as this one:

1) NO insults, abuse, racism or sexism.
Insult is a remark that undermines another person. A simple way to avoid insulting people is to discuss their actions and opinions rather than their personality. For example: instead of saying who they are ("you s*k" or "you are an i*t") say what you think about their opinions/actions and why ("Your post about me is wrong because I never said that heroes 4 is a bad game" or "I disagree with your opinion because centaurs have more hit points than gnolls"). This simple rephrasing strategy can resolve many conflicts and fights before they even happen, both online and in life.
Racism is any remark that associates negativity with a person or group of people based on their nationality, ethnicity, religion, race, place of origin, or skin color.
Sexism is any remark that associates negativity with a person or group of people based on their gender or sexual orientation.

Well maybe the users on PhysicsForums is so gentle and educated Theoretical Scientist, Engineers and ah Programmers, and so on, that will not use the any kind of the rhetoric of such kind by default, and they is no need for the any forum law-enforced rules that will restrict them from such happens, but ahh still . . .
I mean I think If frostysh will use such thing in his messages on this particular forum, he will be banned. But perhaps, it will better if such kind of matters will be formalized in the Official "Terms of Rules" of this particular Internet-resource, so this is my humble suggestion that I have courage to admit. Thanx.

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of racism you quoted pretty much includes any form of xenophobia I am aware of. In addition, we have rules against political discussions.

Personally, I don't see any reason to make the rules more explicit in this case.

DrClaude said:
Personally, I don't see any reason to make the rules more explicit in this case.
There was just a published rules from a heroescommunity.com ( theresource about PC games, etc), well of course, but as for myself look from a side, it's going to weird when such large community of the peoples that have connected their lives to the Science, as Physics Forums, have no normal formalized rules about the above mentioned insults, well the "blurred" tangential stuff about Politics etc is cool of course (and despite that I have found a lot of Politics related discussions in the "General.." board, for an example - Reaction to Trump winning the 2016 US Presidential Election , lot of stuff about terrorist attack, the hell even in my topic about Sci-Fi stu some users have mentioned RF geopolitics, and so on :D ) in the same time, even a small gaming forums (where you can read any kind of hard language and insult etc :/ ) have more durable formalized rules, about such things.
I mean, for an example the most of the public forum-like resources located in the US/EU have pretty hard formalized rules against such type of content.
That because your community rules is looks weird as for frostysh sight, in this case. For an example even a Russian/English language related large Scientific community - DXDY community rules (Rus), have a first rule in the list that banning the all above mentioned stuff and have links to the Constitution, Laws, etc. *facepalm*

frostysh said:
(and despite that I have found a lot of Politics related discussions in the "General.." board, for an example - Reaction to Trump winning the 2016 US Presidential Election ,
That thread predates the newest rule changes.

frostysh said:
lot of stuff about terrorist attack,
Again, this might have appeared before the current rules went into effect. In any case discussing current events doesn't necessarily mean discussing politics.

frostysh said:
the hell even in my topic about Sci-Fi stu some users have mentioned RF geopolitics, and so on :D )
And these posts were deleted soon after.

frostysh said:
in the same time, even a small gaming forums (where you can read any kind of hard language and insult etc :/ ) have more durable formalized rules, about such things.
Again, I see no need for more specific rules. Often, rules need to be spelled out on forums when there is a problem. If xenophobia becomes a problem here, we may add it to the rules. In any case, there is no court of law at PF, only omnipotent mentors :devil:. We decide how to apply the rules, and we will definitely not tolerate any xenophobia. Do not hesitate to report any troubling post.

frostysh said:
There was just a published rules from a heroescommunity.com ( theresource about PC games, etc), well of course, but as for myself look from a side, it's going to weird when such large community of the peoples that have connected their lives to the Science, as Physics Forums, have no normal formalized rules about the above mentioned insults, well the "blurred" tangential stuff about Politics etc is cool of course (and despite that I have found a lot of Politics related discussions in the "General.." board, for an example - Reaction to Trump winning the 2016 US Presidential Election , lot of stuff about terrorist attack, the hell even in my topic about Sci-Fi stu some users have mentioned RF geopolitics, and so on :D ) in the same time, even a small gaming forums (where you can read any kind of hard language and insult etc :/ ) have more durable formalized rules, about such things.
I mean, for an example the most of the public forum-like resources located in the US/EU have pretty hard formalized rules against such type of content.
That because your community rules is looks weird as for frostysh sight, in this case. For an example even a Russian/English language related large Scientific community - DXDY community rules (Rus), have a first rule in the list that banning the all above mentioned stuff and have links to the Constitution, Laws, etc. *facepalm*

If I understand you correctly, you would be much happier if:

a) PF members were hurling insults at each other all the time; but

b) We had stringent, formalised rules against such insults.

Likes fresh_42
DrClaude said:
That thread predates the newest rule changes.
Again, this might have appeared before the current rules went into effect. In any case discussing current events doesn't necessarily mean discussing politics.
And these posts were deleted soon after.
Again, I see no need for more specific rules. Often, rules need to be spelled out on forums when there is a problem. If xenophobia becomes a problem here, we may add it to the rules. In any case, there is no court of law at PF, only omnipotent mentors :devil:. We decide how to apply the rules, and we will definitely not tolerate any xenophobia. Do not hesitate to report any troubling post.
DrClaude - Well of course, I just looked at some things, and then published my opinion, nothin' more. The choice is belongs to the Administration of this forum. About posts, probably I have missed the recent updates, and just looked at date of the initial post about rules ~2003AD. :).
Well and your definition of rules, is ah little bit... Well it is a free forum, so I can post my opinion: The rules actually created to prevent problems, most of the rules on the human civilization on the p. Earth has been made for that. Of course, probably many of it has been developed after a catastrophic collapses or bad precedents etc. But still.
And in my humble opinion, the basic rules must be formalized, coz' somebody cad did something and then say "Hey! I have done nothin' that has been mentioned in rules as forbidden!".
And the most basic rules of the any forums where I have post - is actually something that I have quoted little bit up above.
PeroK said:
If I understand you correctly, you would be much happier if:
a) PF members were hurling insults at each other all the time; but
b) We had stringent, formalised rules against such insults.
Of course not, perhaps it's because of my poor English its hard to understand what frostysh trying to say sometimes, but I am just suggested that a rules of this particular forum is looks weird for frostysh, and perhaps this rules is need for a little bit straight formalization - I don't know, as Mathematicians (I don't like Mathematicians) it's calling. :)

frostysh said:
About posts, probably I have missed the recent updates, and just looked at date of the initial post about rules ~2003AD. :).
The "last edited" date in the lower right should reflect the last change of the rules (here: banning politics)."Langauge and Attitude" shoud cover most of what you describe.

mfb said:
The "last edited" date in the lower right should reflect the last change of the rules (here: banning politics).
"Langauge and Attitude" shoud cover most of what you describe.
Well, yeah - Last edited: Jan 22, 2017.
About "Langauge and Attitude", as for myself it's looks like a restriction for a pathetic robbers, if they will take a knifes and baseball bats, and will uses only good language and low attitude during robing somebody, so they are allow to do such things (I mean no restriction in the Law), I am sorry, but it is too blurred, as for frostysh opinion. Of course it is not means that you need to describe in rules any possible moments with a great precision, but must be somekind of a minimum of detailsation, coz' beyond this minimum some things just can be hard to distinguished and separated, and imho that minimum is not reached in this particular case.

frostysh said:
Well, yeah - Last edited: Jan 22, 2017.
About "Langauge and Attitude", as for myself it's looks like a restriction for a pathetic robbers, if they will take a knifes and baseball bats, and will uses only good language and low attitude during robing somebody, so they are allow to do such things (I mean no restriction in the Law), I am sorry, but it is too blurred, as for frostysh opinion. Of course it is not means that you need to describe in rules any possible moments with a great precision, but must be somekind of a minimum of detailsation, coz' beyond this minimum some things just can be hard to distinguished and separated, and imho that minimum is not reached in this particular case.
I find it ironic that most of your posts as a newbie on the PF are here in this thread complaining about the PF Rules not being detailed and strict enough, while posting this in your Profile here:
frostysh said:
Many of peoples from the other forums think that I am a troll - which is wrong but usually I have ideological conflicts with the next type of users: Religious-guys, Natio-guys, Commi-guys, and with the any similar ideologies.

Likes dlgoff, DrClaude and russ_watters
mfb said:
"Langauge and Attitude" shoud cover most of what you describe.
Agreed; the suggested additions appear redundant to me.

@frostysh, thank you for your suggestion.

Thread closed.

What are the rules and terms of Physics Forums?

The rules and terms of Physics Forums can be found in the website's "Terms and Rules" section. This section outlines the guidelines and expectations for using the forum, including rules for posting, behavior, and copyright.

What happens if I break the rules on Physics Forums?

If you break the rules on Physics Forums, you may receive a warning or be banned from the forum. The severity of the consequence depends on the severity and frequency of the violation.

Why are there not many rules on Physics Forums?

Physics Forums aims to foster open and respectful discussions among members without overly restrictive rules. However, the site still has guidelines in place to maintain a positive and productive community.

Can I suggest new rules for Physics Forums?

Yes, members can suggest new rules for Physics Forums by contacting the site moderators or administrators. The team will review and consider all suggestions, but they may not be implemented if they go against the forum's principles of promoting open and respectful discussions.

What should I do if I see someone breaking the rules on Physics Forums?

If you see someone breaking the rules on Physics Forums, you can report the post or notify a moderator. It is important to remain respectful and avoid engaging in a conflict with the individual breaking the rules.