Test for coplanarity of four points

In summary, if you want to determine if points A,B,C,D are co-planar, you need to check to see if their vectors have a non-zero triple scalar product.
Nero26
Hi all,
If a,b,c,d are position vectors of four points A,B,C,D.The points will be coplanar if xa+yb+zc+td=0,x+y+z+t=0,provided x,y,z,t are not all 0,and they are scalars.Is this test needed to show 4 points are coplanar?
If we consider two lines joining A,B and C,D then this will give us two vectors which are always coplanar.So points A,B,C,D are also coplanar.So I assumed that any 4 points are coplanar and no test is needed for it.
Or is this the test to verify coplanarity of D with the plane containing A,B,C ?
I'm wondering if my assumption is true?Please help me clarifying it.
I'm new here ,Please treat my mistakes with forgiveness. :smile:
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nero26 said:
Hi all,
If a,b,c,d are position vectors of four points A,B,C,D.The points will be coplanar if xa+yb+zc+td=0,x+y+z+t=0,provided x,y,z,t are not all 0,and they are scalars.Is this test needed to show 4 points are coplanar?
If we consider two lines joining A,B and C,D then this will give us two vectors which are always coplanar.So points A,B,C,D are also coplanar.So I assumed that any 4 points are coplanar and no test is needed for it.

What if A,B,C,D are the vertices of a regular tetrahedron?

LCKurtz said:
What if A,B,C,D are the vertices of a regular tetrahedron?
:smile:Thanks a lot for your clue.I think I'm getting near to it.Can you please take a look on the attachment...
And please mention if I need some more things to do.

Attachments

• tetrahedron.jpg
    tetrahedron.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 758
Nero26 said:
:smile:Thanks a lot for your clue.I think I'm getting near to it.Can you please take a look on the attachment...
And please mention if I need some more things to do.

My point was that your statement that any 4 points are coplanar is false. Remember that it takes three non-collinear points to determine a plane (their triangle is part of the plane). Four points are coplanar only if the 4th point lies in the plane determined by the first three.

The test I would use for co-plane-ness of points A,B,C,D would be to make vectors of the sides like this: u = AB, v = AC, w = AD and calculate the triple scalar product or "box" product ##u\cdot v \times w##. If that is non-zero they aren't coplanar and if it is zero they are.

Thanks a lot for your help.I think I got your point " Four points are coplanar only if the 4th point lies in the plane determined by the first three."
Have a nice day!:smile:

1. What is the definition of coplanarity?

Coplanarity refers to the state of being contained within the same plane. In other words, coplanar points lie on the same flat surface.

2. Why is it important to test for coplanarity of four points?

Testing for coplanarity ensures that the four points lie on the same plane, which is important in geometric calculations and measurements. It also helps to identify any errors or inconsistencies in the data.

3. What is the mathematical method for testing coplanarity of four points?

The mathematical method for testing coplanarity of four points is to use the determinant of a 3x3 matrix. If the determinant is equal to 0, then the points are coplanar.

4. Can four points be coplanar in three-dimensional space?

No, four points cannot be coplanar in three-dimensional space. A minimum of three points are required to define a plane in three-dimensional space.

5. Are there any real-life applications for testing coplanarity of four points?

Yes, coplanarity plays a crucial role in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It is used in the design and construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures to ensure stability and proper alignment. It is also used in navigation and mapping systems to determine the position of objects in space.