Tetration Questions: Answers, Calculations & Limitations

• Thread starter pierce15
  • Start date
In summary: This is why the statement is true.In summary, we can see that the behavior of the function x^{\Delta n} as x approaches infinity is the key to understanding these limits. For certain values of x, the limit converges and can be calculated using the definition of a limit. However, for other values of x, the limit does not exist. I hope this helps to clarify your questions. Feel free to ask more as they come up.
pierce15
Hello all, of late I have been very interested in tetration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetration). I have a few questions that weren't really explained clearly by this wikipedia article. P.S., I can't get latex to work with the wikipedia notation, so I will use this notation: ##x^{\Delta n}##.

1. Why does
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty} x^{\Delta n}[/tex] only converge for [tex]1/e<x<e^{1/e}[/tex]

2. How can the exact value be calculated as a limit? For example, how could I prove that:
[tex]\lim_{x\to\infty} \sqrt{2}^{\Delta x}=2[/tex]

3. Why is the following statement true (from the wikipedia article):
[tex]\lim_{x\to0}\lim_{n\to\infty}x^{\Delta n}=1/e[/tex]

I will be sure to post more questions as they come.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

I am glad to hear that you are interested in tetration. It is a fascinating mathematical concept that has been studied for centuries. I will do my best to answer your questions and provide some insight into this topic.

1. The reason why the limit only converges for 1/e<x<e^{1/e} is due to the behavior of the function as x approaches infinity. As you may know, the function x^{\Delta n} grows very rapidly as n increases, and it approaches infinity as x approaches infinity. However, for values of x that are less than 1/e, the function actually decreases as n increases, and it approaches 0 as x approaches 0. This behavior makes it impossible for the limit to converge for those values of x. On the other hand, for values of x that are greater than e^{1/e}, the function grows too quickly and the limit does not exist.

2. The exact value of the limit can be calculated using the definition of a limit. In the example you provided, we can rewrite the expression as \lim_{x\to\infty} (\sqrt{2}^x)^{1/x}. Now, as x approaches infinity, \sqrt{2}^x also approaches infinity, and 1/x approaches 0. This means that the limit can be written as \lim_{x\to\infty} \infty^{0}, which is an indeterminate form. To evaluate this limit, we can use the logarithmic rule for limits: \lim_{x\to\infty} f(x)^{g(x)} = e^{\lim_{x\to\infty} g(x)\ln(f(x))}. Applying this rule to our example, we get \lim_{x\to\infty} e^{0\cdot\ln(\sqrt{2}^x)} = e^0 = 1. Therefore, the exact value of the limit is 1.

3. The statement is true because, as we discussed in the first question, for values of x that are close to 0, the function x^{\Delta n} approaches 1 as n approaches infinity. This means that the inner limit, \lim_{n\to\infty}x^{\Delta n}, is equal to 1 for values of x close to 0. Then, as x approaches 0, the outer limit \lim_{

1. What is tetration?

Tetration is a mathematical operation that is an extension of exponentiation. It involves repeatedly exponentiating a number to itself, with the number of iterations given by the height of the tetration. In simpler terms, it is the process of taking a number to a power, then taking that result to a power, and so on.

2. How is tetration different from exponentiation?

Tetration is different from exponentiation in that it involves multiple iterations of exponentiation, whereas exponentiation is a single operation. In tetration, the number of iterations determines the height of the tetration, which can result in much larger numbers than with exponentiation.

3. What are some real-life applications of tetration?

Tetration has various applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science. It is used in modeling complex systems and analyzing growth rates in different areas. It also has applications in cryptography and signal processing.

4. What are the limitations of tetration?

One of the main limitations of tetration is that it can result in extremely large numbers, which can be difficult to work with and comprehend. Another limitation is that it is not a well-defined operation for all values, as it can result in complex or infinite solutions for certain inputs.

5. Can tetration be calculated or approximated?

Yes, tetration can be calculated or approximated using various methods, such as using logarithms or power towers. However, as the height of tetration increases, the calculations become increasingly complex and computationally intensive. There are also limitations to the precision of calculations due to the largeness of the numbers involved.