Textbook for Integration using Hyperbolic substitution

In summary, a textbook on integration using hyperbolic substitution serves as a helpful guide for students learning how to solve integrals using this specific method. It provides explanations, examples, and practice problems to aid in understanding and mastering this technique. Hyperbolic substitution is a method for solving integrals that involve expressions with both exponential and trigonometric functions, and it differs from other integration techniques by targeting and simplifying integrals with hyperbolic functions. This textbook can benefit students in calculus or other advanced math courses, as well as professionals in various fields. Some common challenges that students may face when learning this method include understanding its concept and purpose, knowing when to use it, and correctly transforming expressions into hyperbolic form. However, a
askor
Can someone please tell me the book that contain integration using hyperbolic substitution for beginner?

I know that hyperbolic functions is taught in Calculus book but most of them is only some identities and inverses of hyperbolic functions.

Physics news on Phys.org
differentiating hyperbolic functions

##y=sinhx\rightarrow y'=coshx##
##y=coshx\rightarrow y'=sinhx##
##y=tanhx\rightarrow y'= sech^2x##
##y=cschx\rightarrow y'=-cschxcothx##
##y=sechx\rightarrow y'=-sechxtanhx##
##y=cothx\rightarrow y'=-csch^2x##

Last edited:
Likes vuthanhcrazy and Mr.Husky

1. What is a hyperbolic substitution in integration?

A hyperbolic substitution is a method used in integration to simplify integrals involving expressions with square roots or quadratic terms. It involves substituting the variable with a hyperbolic function, such as sinh or cosh, to transform the integral into a simpler form.

2. How do I know when to use a hyperbolic substitution in integration?

You can use a hyperbolic substitution when you encounter integrals with expressions that involve square roots or quadratic terms. You can also use it when you see a trigonometric function raised to a power, such as sin^2x or cos^2x.

3. Can I use a hyperbolic substitution for all integrals?

No, there are certain integrals where a hyperbolic substitution may not be the most efficient method. For example, if the integral involves a polynomial or exponential function, other integration techniques may be more suitable.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using hyperbolic substitution?

One common mistake is forgetting to substitute the differential, dx, when using a hyperbolic substitution. It is important to substitute both the variable and the differential in order to correctly solve the integral.

5. Can I use a hyperbolic substitution in indefinite integrals?

Yes, you can use a hyperbolic substitution in both definite and indefinite integrals. In indefinite integrals, you will end up with a constant of integration, whereas in definite integrals, the limits of integration will change accordingly.