Textbook for Quantum Computing

In summary, the person is looking for a textbook on quantum computing that is more computer science oriented and prefers something focused on quantum algorithms rather than physics. They have a strong math background and are currently studying algebraic topology. They also mention a specific textbook, "Quantum Algorithms via Linear Algebra: A Primer" by Lipton and Regan, as a potential option. They also express interest in a textbook on topological quantum computing, but are not currently looking for one.
15adhami
Hello, I am looking for a good textbook to learn quantum computing. My background is that I am a double major in math and computer science, and I pretty much don't know anything about quantum mechanics. I prefer something that is more computer science oriented, like quantum algorithms, rather than physics oriented. I have a strong math background so I am ok with more theoretical textbooks.

I am also currently studying algebraic topology, so I would also like a textbook on topological quantum computing that I can read after finishing my algebraic topology book.

Physics news on Phys.org
For your first request: look into Lipton and Regan's Quantum Algorithms via Linear Algebra: A Primer

its focus really is algorithms and basic finite dimensional matrices. Elementary but very good insights. Does not use Dirac notation which is a plus if you're not a physicist or for whatever reason prefer standard matrix notation. Later chapters that step through things like Shor's algorithms probably need some number theory background to be appreciated.

I have no idea about your second ask, but in any case I'd cross that bridge once you actually get there (or at least get close).

1. What is quantum computing?

Quantum computing is a type of computing that uses the principles of quantum mechanics to process and manipulate information. It differs from traditional computing, which uses binary digits (bits) to represent data, by using quantum bits (qubits) which can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

2. Why is quantum computing important?

Quantum computing has the potential to solve complex problems that are beyond the capabilities of classical computers. It has applications in areas such as cryptography, drug discovery, and optimization, and could greatly improve the speed and efficiency of these processes.

3. What are the challenges in developing a quantum computer?

One of the main challenges in developing a quantum computer is maintaining the fragile state of qubits. Any interaction with the environment can cause interference and disrupt the computation. Another challenge is scaling up quantum systems to a large enough size to perform useful computations.

4. How does a quantum computer work?

A quantum computer uses the principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform calculations. The basic unit of information is the qubit, which can exist in multiple states simultaneously. Operations such as logic gates are performed on qubits to manipulate and process information.

5. What is the current state of quantum computing technology?

While there have been significant advances in quantum computing technology, we are still in the early stages of development. Several companies and research institutions have built small-scale quantum computers, but they are not yet powerful enough to outperform classical computers for most tasks. Research and development are ongoing in this field to overcome the challenges and make quantum computers more practical and accessible.