Textbooks for calculus learning

In summary, calculus is a branch of mathematics focused on continuous change and involves concepts like derivatives and integrals. Textbooks offer a structured approach with explanations, examples, and practice problems to aid learning. When choosing a textbook, look for clear writing, relevant content, and a variety of problems. Older editions can be used, but ensure the content matches your course. There are also online resources available to supplement a calculus textbook.
TGV320
Hi,

I am going to be a 1st year college student in China this fall. I have a lot of interest for calculus and math in general, and I am wondering if the books I have in hand are good for self study.
High school math here stopped the at the derivatives, didn't went further.
The two books I currently have are The calculus lifesaver and Thomas' calculus(5th edition).

Thanks

Last edited:
Likes Hall
Physics news on Phys.org
Thomas book is fine. I prefer the 3rd edition. Start reading.

Thanks very much

Have started Thomas's calculus, find it to be awesome.

1. What is the best textbook for learning calculus?

There is no one "best" textbook for learning calculus, as different students may have different learning styles and preferences. It is best to research and compare different textbooks to find one that suits your needs.

2. Are there any textbooks specifically for beginners in calculus?

Yes, there are several textbooks designed for beginners in calculus, such as "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart and "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams.

3. Do I need to buy the latest edition of a calculus textbook?

It is not necessary to buy the latest edition of a calculus textbook, as the core concepts and principles of calculus remain the same. However, newer editions may have updated examples and exercises, so it is recommended to check with your instructor before purchasing.

4. Can I use an online textbook for learning calculus?

Yes, there are many online textbooks available for learning calculus, such as "OpenStax Calculus" and "MIT OpenCourseWare Calculus". These can be a cost-effective and convenient option for students.

5. Are there any supplemental materials that can help with learning from a calculus textbook?

Yes, there are many supplemental materials available, such as solution manuals, study guides, and online resources, that can aid in understanding and practicing concepts from a calculus textbook. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources, such as videos and practice problems, to supplement your learning.