The 835kph Sailplane and Dynamic Soaring

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamic
In summary: JonesIn summary, this video is very informative and I recommend it to anyone who is interested in engineering or aviation. The speaker is very engaging and his topic is highly interesting.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I recommend this video. I'm very impressed by the engineering. 835kph, transonic effects, and 120G turns in a RC hobby aircraft; wow!

From the video, I learned about aerodynamics, wind patterns around hills, the idea of dynamic soaring, airfoil design, controls coordination, ballast design, instrumentation, piloting, and ergonomic limiting human effects. Even the prospect of a robotic albatross in the future.

The video is nearly 1 hour long, but the man is a good speaker, his topic is fascinating, and his graphics instructive.

• Love
Likes sysprog, OmCheeto, jrmichler and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that was excellent. Thanks @anorlunda.

I love the albatross angle -- nature has already figured this out for a low-speed ultra-low-energy flying application.

It will be interesting to see if his improved swept-wing version will be able to break the sound barrier without external energy input. I'm guessing he will need to (reluctantly) take the human mostly out of the flying loop at those higher speeds. It sounds like the human control loop is already stressed close to reaction time limits.

Likes sysprog, russ_watters and anorlunda
berkeman said:
I love the albatross angle -- nature has already figured this out for a low-speed ultra-low-energy flying application.
Here's an IEEE video on the albatross' use of dynamic soaring.

Likes OmCheeto
Current dynamic soaring record is 548 mph == 882 kph:

Likes anorlunda
anorlunda said:
The video is nearly 1 hour long, but the man is a good speaker, his topic is fascinating, and his graphics instructive.

I just made a narrated version of the animation that Spencer Lisenby uses in his talk:

• Informative
Likes DaveC426913 and anorlunda
A.T. said:
I just made a narrated version of the animation that Spencer Lisenby uses in his talk:

You're really good at that animation stuff. Is there any particular tool that you use?

anorlunda said:
I recommend this video. I'm very impressed by the engineering. 835kph, transonic effects, and 120G turns in a RC hobby aircraft; wow!

From the video, I learned about aerodynamics, wind patterns around hills, the idea of dynamic soaring, airfoil design, controls coordination, ballast design, instrumentation, piloting, and ergonomic limiting human effects. Even the prospect of a robotic albatross in the future.

anorlunda said:

I haven't watched the video yet but I experienced the wind sheer layer first hand when doing some hang gliding that had a Rogallo wing back in my 20s . I still have the scars to prove it.

Likes Keith_McClary and anorlunda
anorlunda said:
You're really good at that animation stuff. Is there any particular tool that you use?
The 2D was done in Flash, the 3D in Blender.

New record 877 kph

Likes berkeman and Filip Larsen
anorlunda said:
New record 877 kph
Amazing speeds.

Anyone know what speed are they measuring and how? The fast looping track through air masses moving at different speeds must make this a bit of a challenge no matter if its done by radar, air data or GPS. Or perhaps they estimate the speed geometrically from the track size and timing?

Filip Larsen said:
Anyone know what speed are they measuring and how?
They use radar to measure groundspeed on the way upwind. The max airspeed is aprox. that groundspeed plus the windspeed over the ridge, which can be more than 100km/h.

Likes Filip Larsen
anorlunda said:
New record 877 kph

That's from 2018. For the current record from 2021 see post #4.

A.T. said:
hat's from 2018. For the current record from 2021 see post #4.
Whoops. Aplogies. @A.T.

1. What is a sailplane?

A sailplane, also known as a glider, is a type of aircraft that is designed to fly without an engine. It uses the natural forces of the wind and air currents to stay aloft.

2. How does the 835kph sailplane achieve such high speeds?

The 835kph sailplane is able to achieve such high speeds through a technique called dynamic soaring. This involves flying in a circular path between two air masses with different wind speeds, allowing the sailplane to gain energy and increase its speed.

3. What are the benefits of dynamic soaring for sailplanes?

Dynamic soaring allows sailplanes to achieve high speeds without the use of an engine, making them more efficient and cost-effective. It also allows them to stay aloft for longer periods of time, making them ideal for long-distance flights.

4. Are there any risks associated with dynamic soaring?

As with any type of flying, there are always risks involved. Dynamic soaring requires a high level of skill and experience, and pilots must be aware of changing wind conditions and potential hazards in the air. However, with proper training and precautions, dynamic soaring can be a safe and thrilling activity.

5. Can any type of sailplane achieve 835kph speeds through dynamic soaring?

No, not all sailplanes are capable of achieving such high speeds through dynamic soaring. The 835kph sailplane is specifically designed and optimized for dynamic soaring, with a sleek and aerodynamic shape and lightweight construction. Other factors such as wind conditions and pilot skill also play a role in achieving high speeds.