The acceleration of falling backwards

In summary, a person's acceleration in a fall can be determined by measuring the head's movement speed, the foot's movement speed, and the acceleration in the middle.
jethrotull
I was wondering how you could analyse such things as the acceleration of someone falling directly backwards. The head clearly moves faster than the feet but how can the acceleration of each be measured? What about the acceleration in the middle?

I guess on a amore general level i am looking for an answer that is more simplified than analyzing a person's fall. assume that the person is a flat board on the Earth's surface and their mass is evenly destributed throughout the board.

Physics news on Phys.org
jethrotull said:
I was wondering how you could analyse such things as the acceleration of someone falling directly backwards. The head clearly moves faster than the feet but how can the acceleration of each be measured? What about the acceleration in the middle?

I guess on a amore general level i am looking for an answer that is more simplified than analyzing a person's fall. assume that the person is a flat board on the Earth's surface and their mass is evenly destributed throughout the board.

This is actually a rather common problem in classical mechanics using the lagrangian/hamiltonian method. It is typically an upright cylinder that is tipping over, with some coefficient of friction between the bottom of the cylinder and the surface. In fact, another variation to this problem is the falling chimney.

Zz.

You could consider a rod hinged at one end and consider the period between rod nearly vertical, to rod horizontal.

For a rod rotating about and end point the moment of inertia = mass x length2 / 3 and would be constant.

The torque = 1/2 length x sin(angle_from_vertical) x weight

The angular acceleration = torque / inertia

Then you'd need to determine the relationship of angle versus time. If the rod is vertical, it doesn't fall, so you need to start with some small angle. The equation is complicated, using a pendulum as an example where moment of inertia = mass x length2, 3 times that of a rod pivoting at one end, but otherwise also a constant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_(mathematics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_(derivations)

I use a spreadsheet to do a crude numerical integration of time, to make a graph of angle versus time starting at +179 degrees, where 180 degrees means vertical:

http://jeffareid.net/misc/rod2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to The acceleration of falling backwards

1. What is the acceleration of falling backwards?

The acceleration of falling backwards is the rate at which an object's velocity changes as it falls backwards due to the force of gravity. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How does the acceleration of falling backwards differ from other forms of acceleration?

The acceleration of falling backwards is the same as the acceleration of falling forwards, as they are both due to the force of gravity. However, the direction of the acceleration is opposite in these two cases.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of falling backwards?

The acceleration of falling backwards is affected by the mass of the object, the force of gravity, and any other external forces acting on the object (such as air resistance).

4. Can the acceleration of falling backwards be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of falling backwards can be negative if the object is decelerating or moving in the opposite direction of the force of gravity. This can occur if there are other external forces acting on the object that are greater than the force of gravity.

5. How is the acceleration of falling backwards calculated?

The acceleration of falling backwards can be calculated using the formula a = (v-u)/t, where a is the acceleration, v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and t is the time. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where F is the force of gravity and m is the mass of the object.