How Do You Calculate the Angle Between Two Lines?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the angle between two lines using the dot product and inverse cosine function. The normal vectors of the lines are (1,2) and (-3,1) and their dot product must be zero for the lines to be perpendicular. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using other methods to find the angle and suggests moving the topic to the Pre-Calculus forum.
Petrus
Decide the angle between line \(\displaystyle x+2y-3=0\) and \(\displaystyle -3x+y+1=0\) we use ON-cordinate
progress
I know that their normalvector is \(\displaystyle (1,2)\) and \(\displaystyle (-3,1)\) but what shall I do next?
Is this correctly understand
33paq7r.png

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: the angle between two line

Don't you have two forms for the dot product, one involving the components and one involving the angle between them?

Re: the angle between two line

MarkFL said:
Don't you have two forms for the dot product, one involving the components and one involving the angle between them?
My picture did not work:S That is what I did, I just wounder if I can use the normal vector, cause normal vector got same slope if I understand correctly

Regards,

Re: The angle between two line

If two vectors are normal (if I understand you to mean orthogonal or perpendicular) then their dot product will be zero. What you did was correct, you just need to solve for the angle using the inverse cosine function.

edit: Unless you are to use some other method to find the angle subtending the lines, this topic should actually be in the Pre-Calculus forum. I'll wait until I know for sure before moving it.

Re: The angle between two line

MarkFL said:
If two vectors are normal (if I understand you to mean orthogonal or perpendicular) then their dot product will be zero. What you did was correct, you just need to solve for the angle using the inverse cosine function.

edit: Unless you are to use some other method to find the angle subtending the lines, this topic should actually be in the Pre-Calculus forum. I'll wait until I know for sure before moving it.
I solved it :) Thanks for the help!:)

Regards,

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Calculate the Angle Between Two Lines?

1. What is the angle between two lines?

The angle between two lines is the measure of the amount of rotation needed to bring one line into alignment with the other.

2. How do you calculate the angle between two lines?

This can be done using the slope of each line. The angle between two lines is equal to the arctangent of the absolute value of the difference in the slopes of the lines.

3. Can the angle between two lines be negative?

Yes, the angle between two lines can be negative. This occurs when one line is rotated in the opposite direction from the other line.

4. What does it mean if the angle between two lines is 0?

If the angle between two lines is 0, it means that the lines are either parallel or overlapping. In other words, they have the same slope.

5. Can the angle between two lines ever be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the angle between two lines can never be greater than 90 degrees. This is because the maximum angle between two lines is when they are perpendicular, which is exactly 90 degrees.