The biquaternions and friends

In summary, the Wikipedia entry about biquaternions discusses the interesting subalgebras of this algebra, including the split-complex numbers, tessarines, and coquaternions. However, there is a fourth subalgebra that is similar to the coquaternions and has elements defined as {g = a + bi + ch + dhi | ∀(a,b,c,d)∈ℝ}. This subalgebra is closed under products and can be used to describe the Lorentz transformation. It is also noted that the product of h with i, j, or k must be non-associative in order for (hi)2 = -1.
EinsteinKreuz
So upon reading the wikipedia entry about the biquaternions I noticed that this algebra has several interesting subalgebras:

1. The split-complex numbers of the form {σ = x+y(hi)| ∀(x,y)∈ ℝ} which have the norm σ⋅σ* = (x2-y2).

2. The tessarines which can be written as {α + βj | ∀(α,β,)∈ℂ1 & j2 = -1}

3. The coquaternions whose bases form the dihedral group D4 and are define as the Span{1, i, (hj), (hk)}

But there is a 4th subalgebra that is somewhat similar to the coquaternions. And its elements can be defined as {g = a + bi + ch + dhi | (a,b,c,d)∈ℝ}. Now of course i2 = h2 = -1 and hi2 =
h2i2 = (-1)2 = +1.

But since I'm not sure how to add a grid for the Cayley table I'll also wrote down the other relational equations:

h⋅i = +(hi)
i⋅h = -(hi)
(hi)⋅i = -h
i⋅(hi) = +h
h
⋅(hi) = -i
(hi)⋅i = +i

Using these rules it can be shown that { g | g ∈ Span[1,i,h,(hi)]} is closed under products and if we define g* = a - bi - ch - dhi, then g⋅g* = a2+b2+c2-d2 = -ds2 where ds2 is the Minkowski metric.

So does this subalgebra have an official name and could it's elements be used as operators to describe the Lorentz transformation?

Physics news on Phys.org
EinsteinKreuz said:
h⋅i = +(hi)
i⋅h = -(hi)
(hi)⋅i = -h
i⋅(hi) = +h
h
⋅(hi) = -i
(hi)⋅i = +i
A question, as I'm not familiar with Biquaternions:
How did you get i⋅h = -(hi)?

Samy_A said:
A question, as I'm not familiar with Biquaternions:
How did you get i⋅h = -(hi)?
Ahhhh...good point! The article states that h⋅i = i⋅h.
Now after tinkering with my original rule I realize that if the product of h with i,j, or k is associative(like the quaternions) then i⋅h = -(hi) → (hi)2 = -1.
So to generate an algebra where i⋅h = -(hi) & (hi)2 = h2i2 = +1, then the product of h with i,j, or k must be non-associative.

Last edited:

1. What are biquaternions?

Biquaternions are a type of number system that extend the concept of complex numbers to four dimensions. They are represented by two complex numbers and can be used to describe rotations and translations in three-dimensional space.

2. How are biquaternions related to quaternions?

Biquaternions are closely related to quaternions, as they are an extension of the concept. However, while quaternions have four components, biquaternions have eight components and are more versatile in representing transformations in three-dimensional space.

3. What are the applications of biquaternions?

Biquaternions have various applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. They are used to represent rotations and translations in three-dimensional space, making them useful for modeling and simulating physical systems.

4. Can biquaternions be multiplied and divided?

Yes, biquaternions can be multiplied and divided. The multiplication and division rules for biquaternions are similar to those of quaternions, but they involve more complex calculations due to their eight components.

5. What are the properties of biquaternions?

Biquaternions have several properties, including commutativity, associativity, and distributivity. They also have a conjugate and inverse, which can be used in calculations. Additionally, biquaternions have a norm, which can be used to measure their magnitude.