The correlation between a dimensionless point and a line

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a line and its correlation to dimensionless points. The speaker, a philosopher, questions how a line can be arrived at if it is made up of dimensionless points. The responder explains that these concepts are tools used in mathematics and do not necessarily have a material existence. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to refer to Zeno's paradoxes and Plato's idea of a world of ideas.
Erk
I see no correlation between a dimensionless point and a line although it appears that math has made one. I'm just a philosopher so it's quite possible that I've got it all wrong.

It seems as though any location along a line is always the same location. If a location has no size then it can't be can't be added or multiplied to create a length.

So if a line is a distance between two dimensionless points and there is only one dimensionless point between them (see paragraph above) then all I see at first glance is three dimensionless points and (see paragraph above) I ultimately only see one.

So could someone enlighten me (in plain english) as to how to arrive at a line?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Erk said:
I see no correlation between a dimensionless point and a line although it appears that math has made one. I'm just a philosopher so it's quite possible that I've got it all wrong.
Correlation is misleading here, as it has a certain and different mathematical meaning. Philosophy on the other hand is a taboo on PF, as we had to make the experience, that it leads to endless and meaningless discussions, which rarely deserves the qualifier philosophical. Therefore we had to decide to exclude it from the list of allowable topics.
It seems as though any location along a line is always the same location. If a location has no size then it can't be can't be added or multiplied to create a length.
You basically rediscovered a version of Zeno's paradox.
So if a line is a distance between two dimensionless points and there is only one dimensionless point between them (see paragraph above) then all I see at first glance is three dimensionless points and (see paragraph above) I ultimately only see one.

So could someone enlighten me (in plain english) as to how to arrive at a line?
There is a fundamental misunderstanding here, because neither a point nor a line do actually exist in a material meaning of existence. They are both constructions which help to solve problems. A similar question would be: How can we have all real numbers, if we cannot construct them? We can't even list all numbers between 0 and 1. So there are a lot of metaphysical problems with the way we do mathematics. Nevertheless, we found out that those concepts are suited to perform accounting and tax calculations, which in my opinion had been the origin of doing math. Those concepts are tools, used to solve problems, make predictions and describe connections. They do not request to be real in a material sense. Plato described it as a world of ideas and placed the existence at this location. Most mathematicians and I assume also physicists are Platonists. My favorite example is a circle: we all have an idea of what it is, but in the end, it does not exist. And before you fetch your compass, be aware that it will have to compete with my electron microscope! Personally I support the point of view, that even art isn't invented or built, but discovered. To me your drawn circle is a kind of projection of Plato's circle as an idea.

So I can only refer to Zeno's paradoxes and Plato. I'm not sure, but I think Wittgenstein found a different approach. However, whatever philosophers had come up with, it didn't really influence the way we balance or tax.

As this is clearly a philosophical subject, I 'll close this thread.

Related to The correlation between a dimensionless point and a line

What is a dimensionless point?

A dimensionless point is a mathematical concept that represents a location in space without any physical dimensions or units. It is often used in equations and geometric calculations.

What is a line?

A line is a straight path that extends infinitely in both directions. It is a fundamental concept in geometry and can be defined by two points or through an equation.

How are dimensionless points and lines related?

Dimensionless points and lines are related in that a line can be constructed by connecting an infinite number of dimensionless points. A line also has no physical dimensions, similar to a dimensionless point.

What is the correlation between a dimensionless point and a line?

The correlation between a dimensionless point and a line is that a dimensionless point can be used to define a line, and a line can be constructed by connecting multiple dimensionless points. They are both fundamental concepts in mathematics and are often used in equations and calculations.

Why is the correlation between a dimensionless point and a line important?

The correlation between a dimensionless point and a line is important because it helps us understand the relationship between two fundamental mathematical concepts. It also allows us to make calculations and solve problems involving points and lines in various fields such as geometry, physics, and engineering.